Author Topic: Crazy Al Racing's Powerdynamo Ignition/Lighting System.  (Read 160985 times)

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
Re: Powerdynamo MZB ignition/ 100 watt lighting kit.
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 07:51:56 AM »
Glad you did it in inches as I have no metrics in my 40+ year collection of dial indicators! Makes it so I do not have to convert it! Thanks!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Motorrad

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 07:57:47 AM »
Glad you did it in inches as I have no metrics in my 40+ year collection of dial indicators! Makes it so I do not have to convert it! Thanks!

I HATE HATE  the metric system..    

"The metric system is the tool of the devil. My car gets fourty rods to the hogs head and that's the way I likes it!"  -Grandpa Simpson

Did you see my follow up post of the range you want?

.086-.090
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:00:25 AM by Motorrad »

Offline alward25

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 11:52:37 AM »
I always have a convertor handy.  England forced the standard system upon in colonial times and it stuck.  They do not use it anymore.  It is as obsolete as a K5 ignition system :-D

Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
I did see it. 2.2 mm! Oops! I mean .086 to .090.  :-D  I actually like the metric system even though I have used fractional for machining for a whole lot of years. Not inclined to pick up any more precision tools unless I have to. Not using them much these days. Asked the wife the other day why I have so many tools if I am not inclined to even do work on my own vehicles these days. Two different places I worked at had us take all our own tools home and bought master sets with controlled tools. Got at least three large sets of tools, have three tool boxes, SnapOn top and bottom, SnapOn flat top, Mack flat top. Need to pare down, but can not seem to let go of any of them.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 05:45:28 PM »
Sitting here infused with expensive Scotch and Jagermeister I am a little disappointed in my days work. Gave away 650 sheets of plastic to make room in my shop for more bikes. Moved it out of the shop but it ends up just more of a mess! Crap! Want to get the KZ off the hoist and get the KZ5 on but just ended up just moving a lot of stuff around. Well, I did give away the plastic, but it still did not make as much of a dent as I wanted. Going to pick up more Kawi parts tomorrow but resisted the urge to pick up the entire bike. Got to draw the line some where! Want to get on the stator lighting conversion.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2012, 04:05:58 AM »

2.2mm or .0866 is 16.18? BTDC on a KX500.

Offline wardro

Re: Powerdynamo MZB ignition/ 100 watt lighting kit. (Regulator/Rectifier)
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
I have installed the kit, bike runs great, however, I'm having a problem with the lighting/charging.  Does anyone have any suggestions/wiring diagram for the regulator/rectifier   Mine has five wires, 2 black, 1 red, 1 brown, 1 red/green

Does the two black wires connect to the two black wires from the stator?  If so, does it matter which black wire from the stator connect to a specific black wire on the regulator/rectifier?
Does the red wire go to the battery?
Does the brown wire go to ground?
What purpose is the red/green wire?

Thanks in advance.
Ron

Offline alward25

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2012, 02:16:35 AM »
Brown ground
red battery
2 black from stator go 2 black on reg
red/green not used

so Ac power comes out of stator to reg ( black wires) comes out of reg/rec as DC through red to battery/ brown to ground.  red/green not used

Hope it helps
Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »
FINALLY got the KX5 on the lift after hernia surgery three weeks ago and everything being put on hold. Loaned my flywheel puller to someone (not on here) and can not remember who. Name is not in my 'Loaned Tool' notebook either. Looking forward to lighting up the beast!

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »
Got to ask. Did you guys that did the 100 watt conversion take a mirror and flashlight and check tank to coil clearance? I just finished installing the stator, timed (.088) the flywheel, cut off the tab on the coil, and put two slots in mount. After installing it and the tank, I took a look and the coil is hitting the tank on the inside right, and has less then .250 (1/4?) on the other side. I am running the stock tank. I have room to put more slots in the coil mount, but may end up making a wedge to put under the coil to angle it a bit and put a separate ground wire on it just to be sure it is grounded well. I am wondering if the aftermarket tanks have more room under them between the frame and tank?

Offline alward25

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
It did not hit my Zip-Ty.  Good info, thanks for the heads up for future installations.

Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2013, 01:33:28 PM »
I put in another set of slots and ?massaged? the bracket to get about 1/8?-3/16? on both sides. The bracket is VERY soft. I am a little worried about vibration moving it around to where it rubs the tank. Tempted to remove the rivets and make a new bracket, but will try it first and watch for rubbing. Getting excited to try it!

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »
Called Penton today and they have a new, smaller, less weight regulator for the system. Ordered one ($106) and it should be here in a few days. Will post a side by side pic when I get it. The one included was a bit 'clunky', so I hope this one is mo betta. Sun came out today so got excited about getting going on it!

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2013, 03:52:39 AM »
Here is the newest style of regulator. Not sure if this is the one they are shipping with the kits now, or if it is just an option to purchase. I wanted to make a plate with countersunk screws from the backside and mount it on the gooseneck, but am not sure it will lay flat enough for the forks to clear. The wires coming out the top instead of the end or side surprised me a bit. Only because I did not expect it.

Offline alward25

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2013, 04:19:46 AM »
Yup, That is the new one.  Looks sweet!!!!
"Let there be light"