Author Topic: Crazy Al Racing's Powerdynamo Ignition/Lighting System.  (Read 160955 times)

Motorrad

Re: Powerdynamo MZB ignition/ 100 watt lighting kit.
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »

Motorrad

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »
I said Id do a writup on installing the MZB..

here is step 1...

making coil fit.

The coil that is supplied... like any penton etc kit... is a universal coil... they cant make money just making it for the K5.

here is how I made mine fit... and turned out quite nice...

1.   mark where you want to cut slots for the mount bolts.   Keeping in mind you need room for washers.

notch them..

cut it out, round sharp edges,, blah blah blah...

whala...

Motorrad

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »
OOps forgot picture attachments....   on the way

Motorrad

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »
I said Id do a writup on installing the MZB..

here is step 1...

making coil fit.

The coil that is supplied... like any penton etc kit... is a universal coil... they cant make money just making it for the K5.

here is how I made mine fit... and turned out quite nice...

Forgot to take a before picture.. .so here is how it Looks before (held back together again)

1.   mark where you want to cut slots for the mount bolts.   Keeping in mind you need room for washers.

notch them., try to make them as close to the size of the bolts as possible (Have one handy for fitment). (dremel, rat tail file, mill, space shuttle blast) what ever is easyer for you.

cut off excess... round the edges for that "I didnt make it in my back yard" look

Get a washer to use with the stock hardware (Im a large fan of A&N washers)

and if you did everything right... holes should line up

and whala

so easy a baby can do it  (with her goofy face she makes when you tell her to smile)

whala...

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »
Still have not received my MZB but may be rethinking the KX5 SuMo project anyway. Popped out an umbilical hernia, now tore a hamstring muscle. This 'older age' crap is not all that fun. Might have to think about slowing down, and a streetable KX5 may not be the best thing for that. Just sayin'...
I will wait (probably) until next year to sell it as this just might be a 'downer' time, but man, this is getting old! Pun intended!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 01:30:47 PM »
Got a note from a fella that has not received his MZB yet (June) and I let him know I was still waiting (April) as well. Asked about canceling mine but will take it if it shows up. Any one else have that long of a wait?
Fired up the beast and loaded it today. Going for a ride tomorrow that may decide whether I keep the KX5 or not.

Offline Uncle pirate

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 01:57:25 PM »
Hey y'all !
 Have been sitting with my own kx500 motard project on back burner awaiting an answer to the "wimpy stator issues" (that,and I've a kz900 project which takes precedence-a sub 500 mile rebuild due to too tight tolerances...what I get for trusting others to do my build-grrrr) this MZB kit seems just the ticket! Please keep us posted on availability;luckily I live in Washington state,so worse comes to worst I could always take the kz on a test run if I understand correctly that the units ship from Oregon...sorry to those of you continentally challenged! ahhhh I can see the blue haze wafting thru Georgetown now....if I can only keep tires on the beast!

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2012, 08:24:41 AM »
Talked to Alex today. Looks like Penton had some problems with the flywheel they were using but has that straigtened out and should be shipping within the next couple weeks. Not 'MZB' unit anymore. Is 'Power Dynamo' now even though the Penton site still shows MZB. Funny you have a KZ900 project. I have a KZ1000 project. You have a KX5 motard, I am putting together a KX5 motard. We both live in Western Washington... We are going to have the EPA after us with the combined blue haze! You street legaling yours?

Offline Uncle pirate

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
Yep,that's the plan...have you heard conformation on only needing inspection for plates? A buddy told me they had changed the law back. Thinking I might have a street set up running dual19's that way I can quickly swap back to muddin mode...front caliper might be an issue tho. The kz is a 1015 now-wanted the lighter crank for acceleration. The Wisecos help in that regard as well. We should team up and leave ground chemtrails thru Seattle!

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »
Got SOAKED at work tonight. Got home and what was waiting for me? A cute sexy LIGHTING stator and related parts! Very cool! Made the day all ok. Got to get on the KZ1000 so I can get it off the lift and get the KX5 on it to start the project. NOW I am getting cranked up!

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
Whats the wait period for this set up? Im thinking about converting mine over.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Motorrad

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »
Whats the wait period for this set up? Im thinking about converting mine over.

PM alex.. he woudl know

For anyone in the future trying to diagnose any problems... here are soem stator specs. (straight from MZB themselfs)

Red-brown    500 Ohm.

white-brown 70 Ohm

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
I have seen a couple different specs (2.2mm and 2.4mm) on mm before TDC for these. Nothing in the instructions for Kawasaki application. Called Penton and got 2.5mm-3.0mm, which is more then suggested on this site.
My KX5 is a stock bore, has a cleaned squish and the thicker gasket that Larry suggested when I had the comp release installed. Wanted to get this out there so all who are doing one can see it.  :-D  Going to pull the KZ1000 off the hoist and do the KX5. Figured if there is a problem better to deal with it now rather then a few months from now.

Motorrad

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
I have seen a couple different specs (2.2mm and 2.4mm) on mm before TDC for these. Nothing in the instructions for Kawasaki application. Called Penton and got 2.5mm-3.0mm, which is more then suggested on this site.
My KX5 is a stock bore, has a cleaned squish and the thicker gasket that Larry suggested when I had the comp release installed. Wanted to get this out there so all who are doing one can see it.  :-D  Going to pull the KZ1000 off the hoist and do the KX5. Figured if there is a problem better to deal with it now rather then a few months from now.

Motorrad

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
Between .086 and .090  is where you want to be..     shoot for .088  BTDC