Author Topic: Black coating inside cylinder?  (Read 3668 times)

510rider

Black coating inside cylinder?
« on: November 06, 2006, 01:03:55 PM »
I just took my 98 K5 down ( bike like new, little time on it)and there is a black coating that is flaking off all over the casting that make the ports.  I have never seen this before.  The previous owner of  this bike left some type of metal in it that found the top of the motor.  Not much damage, new piston should take care of it.

I have not ridden a KX 500 since 1989!!!!  I race the Mid-south HS series and look forward to racing this bike.  This is a Great Site!!!!

510rider

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
Re: Black coating inside cylinder?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 01:11:48 PM »
Awesome!  I don't know much about the flaking stuff, but hows the h/s scrambles in your neck of the woods?  I'm from northeast and its alot of tight stuff, I found myself to be a lot faster on a 250, but I'm seriously considering going back to my 500 because there's nothing I can't go through or up with it!  Just curious what you rode before you picked up your 500 and your reasoning if you do alot of racing!  Good luck!
-Seth
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

510rider

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 02:18:15 PM »
Seth, I have been on KTM 4-strokes lately, but have not been riding much.  Every time I have gone back to a Mid-south event my bike has broke!!!  Last event I went 1 mile and my KTM 400 EXC quit!! (stator).  I snapped!!!  Found and bought a KX500!!!  They run forever right????  First ride I hear engine "clang" and it quits.  Pull plug and tip is smashed flat.  I figured the rod had come apart but turns out some pieces of metal made it's way to the top-end.  I have no idea what it was or where it came from.  Took the whole thing apart and everything is in tact.  My guess is somebdy did a top-end before trading the bike and dropped something in it!!!!!!

I quit riding for about 6 years.  Did some vintage riding, hence 510rider(510 Husqvarna).

The Mid-south events are getting more like GNCC events now.  Nothing really tight to me now at 40 yrs old.  When this series started if your bars were not 28 inches you were not getting though!!!!!

My set-up will be:  14 oz flywheel, reed spacer, PC2 pipe and silencer, steel clutch plates, tall soft seat, correct jetting, rapture clutch perch for 1 finger pull, and a few other things.  I am starting with 47 th rear sproket but may go to a 46.  I only got to ride it about 20 miles Sunday.

Nothing beats it from corner to corner!!!!  I keep it in a tall gear and just focus on the trail.  I didn't feel that I was going that fast but I left my son in the dust!!!!!  We were riding some pretty tight trails.

Sunday will be a true test at Lynnville IN Mid-south.

510rider

PS I'm 6ft 2 and 250 pounds.  A 250 is like a 125 to me!!!!!!

Offline kx666

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 02:45:20 PM »
sounds like carbon buildup, do you have any pictures?

510rider

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 03:07:22 PM »
It's not carbon.  Looks like it was painted and is coming off.  Like if you spray paint remover on a painted cylinder.  You know how it will come off in splatches?????

510rider

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 04:55:21 PM »
  That black stuff is paint. Kawasaki paints the inside of the ports. Sometime it comes off but is no danger to the engine.  Cam.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 10:57:08 PM »
  That black stuff is paint. Kawasaki paints the inside of the ports. Sometime it comes off but is no danger to the engine.  Cam.

I kinda remember seeing some black residue on the intake side as well when I yanked my '01 cylinder. I "Easy Offed" all that residue as I was concerned, and had never seen that done before.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 04:47:48 PM »
They should repaint it black in there, it's painted black for a reason.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:21 AM »
They should repaint it black in there, it's painted black for a reason.

What was the reason? Flow?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:10:43 AM »
cooler surface temp.

Offline don46

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
you should try to get rid of it, it was one of the worst mistakes Kawasaki ever made, this stuff flakes off and actually causes scratches in the cylinder. After my first cylinder being destroyed (i'm particular) I would remove cylinders from my new bike and get rid of the crap. Not sure how this would make it cooler, it could have been a smoother surface for flow benefits. We used to get alot of support from Team Green, they are the ones who said get rid of the crap, also you might note that none of the newer cylinders have it
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 01:21:12 PM »
Don
You are right it is a problem on cylinders that has some hours on them. Kaw sometimes try to one up the other companys on performance. That paint don't like high intake air temp.