Author Topic: Steel-Sleeved Bore  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Kawasakifreak

Steel-Sleeved Bore
« on: November 23, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a KX500 which the owner states has been re-bored and a steel sleeve/liner pressed in a few years ago - it's running on it's 2nd standard piston & rings.

Is the seller hiding more serious damage to the engine which prevented him re-boring using Nikosil ?

Also, does a steel liner remove heat from the bore area as efficiently as Nikosil ?  Could steel liners increase the potential for piston seizures ?

Any advice greatfully received.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:36:47 PM by Kawasakifreak »
Kawasakifreak - the older I get the faster I was.

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: Steel-Sleeved Bore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:16:36 AM »
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a KX500 which the owner states has been re-bored and a steel sleeve/liner pressed in a few years ago - it's running on it's 2nd standard piston & rings.

Is the seller hiding more serious damage to the engine which prevented him re-boring using Nikosil ?

Also, does a steel liner remove heat from the bore area as efficiently as Nikosil ?  Could steel liners increase the potential for piston seizures ?

Any advice greatfully received.

Cheers.

This is new to me... a "steel" liner ? To my knowledge all "pressed in" replacement liners are fabricated from Cast Iron ?
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:30:44 AM »
The biggest diff is the warm up time. If your bike has a sleeve in it you have to let it warm up good before you ride it do to the diff expansion rates of the sleeve and piston or the bike will cold seize.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 02:38:38 AM »
Most people generally put a sleeve in because its cheaper. Most cylinders can be repaired and re-nikosil plated, but costs more. Nikosil lasts longer and disipates heat better. Using nikosil also has the advantage of using stock piston and rebuild kits. Hondas use sleeves and can be bored to correct imperfections, but have the over bore piston sizes readily available. Not sure how you get over bore Kawi pistons. I'm sure its being done, and would be what you need, if its already on the second set of piston and rings in that sleeve. The sleeve vs nikosil has been discussed at length on here in the past. ( Search function) From what I remember, the nikosil cylinders let you have a tighter tolerance between piston and cylinder, where the sleeved cylinders need a little more room for expansion/contraction, which should be fine as far as seizures, as long as the shop goes by the proper clearances.

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:46:38 AM »
You have to let a sleeved bike warm up good no matter the machine work, if you don't you will scuff the piston. You are right about the search function, there is enough info on here about sleeves to choke a horse.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 03:41:27 AM »
Most people generally put a sleeve in because its cheaper. Most cylinders can be repaired and re-nikosil plated, but costs more. Nikosil lasts longer and disipates heat better. Using nikosil also has the advantage of using stock piston and rebuild kits. Hondas use sleeves and can be bored to correct imperfections, but have the over bore piston sizes readily available. Not sure how you get over bore Kawi pistons. I'm sure its being done, and would be what you need, if its already on the second set of piston and rings in that sleeve. The sleeve vs nikosil has been discussed at length on here in the past. ( Search function) From what I remember, the nikosil cylinders let you have a tighter tolerance between piston and cylinder, where the sleeved cylinders need a little more room for expansion/contraction, which should be fine as far as seizures, as long as the shop goes by the proper clearances.

+1
We disassemble several dirt bikes every week.
From what I have seen, plated cylinders last longer and provide better cooling.
It is common to see scuffed up cylinders and pistons in a sleeved application, whereas plated cylinders have a much smaller incident of galling and scuffing.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Kawasakifreak

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 05:00:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice folks - that's made up my mind - think I'll pass on this example !!  :-o
Kawasakifreak - the older I get the faster I was.

Offline seff23

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:36:37 AM »
I've used a sleeved cylinder before and never had a problem. if the rest of the bike looks good and the price is right I'd buy it, but that's me

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 05:37:12 AM »
poor cooling system and iron sleeve= alot of piston clearance.
great cooling system and aluminum cylinder= very little piston clearance.
great cooling system and iron sleeve= alittle more piston clearance.

Offline JohnJr

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »
Hello, Ihave an 2001 KX-5OO, I have the sleave in my bike with a Wiesco Std. piston,V-Force reeds, stock jetting, 40:1 Blenzoil Premix, to me it runs the same as a Nicasil cylinder, it was CHEAPER that way,Just let it warm up and you wont have any problems,YOU CAN WAIT FOR IT TO WARM UP A LITTLE BIT,just try to hold on to it!!!!Have fun My friend

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 08:07:26 AM »
The generall rule of thumb is that cast OEM pistons residing in a nikasil cyl are fitted with a tighter piston to wall clearence. Cast pistons expand less than forged. Cast pistons require slighty less warmup regiment. Forged psitons are "supposidly" stonger and better suited to high performace applications, BUT forged pistons expand differently than cast, therefore require a greater piston to cyl clearence spec. Re-borable iron liners are nice if you think you will be blowing top ends on a re-occuring basis, all's you do is sieze, re-bore, slap in an oversize psiton, and you are good to go...  8-)

I ran a LA Sleeve/ Wiseco kit on my '84 KX125, and had NOTHING but problems, but that was also 26 years ago, and also at the mercy of the quality of the machinist that did the sleeve job back then. I have stuck with OEM cast and OEM plated cylinders for the past 25 years and never lost a top end thus far...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:11:44 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart