Author Topic: ATF for temp fix on a slipping clutch?  (Read 5722 times)

Offline joko

ATF for temp fix on a slipping clutch?
« on: November 17, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »
I have a slipping clutch, but don't have the time to fix for a ride tomorrow ... should I use ATF? If so, which type, Dextron? Do I need to fluush the trans out with cleaner first? Does ATF really help? Hurt? Thanks ... Joe.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
Re: ATF for temp fix on a slipping clutch?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »
For those that run ATF in these bikes, the favorite is Type F.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »
I just switched to ATF after reading the thread about it.  I haven't really noticed a difference in shifting at all.  What am I missing?

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »
I just switched to ATF after reading the thread about it.  I haven't really noticed a difference in shifting at all.  What am I missing?
Good oil in your tranny  :-D
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »
 :lol: :lol:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:26:24 AM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 10:09:34 AM »

BDI made a Funny!   :lol:
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
I have a slipping clutch, but don't have the time to fix for a ride tomorrow ... should I use ATF? If so, which type, Dextron? Do I need to fluush the trans out with cleaner first? Does ATF really help? Hurt? Thanks ... Joe.

Dude,

If you have time to go ride tomorrow, you have time to fix your clutch. Using ATF will NOT fix a slipping clutch only a new clutch, ok maybe new springs will help, but change the clutch. so many times people get lazy and say they don't have time to fix something, then, tomorrow they'll come back and say they smoked a crank seal and blame it on the bike not the fact that they generated so much heat from the slipping clutch. On a personal note I wouldn't run ATF in my tranny, I know some swear by it but there have been some instances of gears seizing to the shafts, not sure if they were running ATF or not. there have been several posts discussing this but I'm not sure you could get a consensus.

not to be a dick but.....
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »
I think the old guy should install a K sensor in his drain plug and see what transmission oil temp he is running with different weight gear oil and atf.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »
just fix the clutch. the continued slipping will only get worse real quick and then possibly leave you stranded. 

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 03:46:39 PM »
just dump in some sea foam, that'll fix it.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
I have talked to a couple diff people who have had failers like gears seizing on shafts right after going to atf but they choose not to post about it. Isn't it funny how people don't like to talk about their failers. I wonder how often that happens where people just don't tell when stuff they do does not work out good?

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
I have talked to a couple diff people who have had failers like gears seizing on shafts right after going to atf but they choose not to post about it. Isn't it funny how people don't like to talk about their failers. I wonder how often that happens where people just don't tell when stuff they do does not work out good?

When the gear in my trans seized, I was running BelRay GearSaver. I was told by a long time Kawi tech that it was because I was revving it excessively while on its side stand... That specific area loses lubrication in that condition... ??? He also said he like to slightly overfill the trans for this "issue"...

Believe it was 5th gear on the main shaft. It doesn't ride on a bearing, but it has a bushing connecting it to the shaft.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 01:43:57 AM »
That happened on your KX500? that sounds like a honda crf450r problem.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »
I use 10w 40 like the owners manual suggests.  Valvoline is the brand I prefer.  Kawasaki wants you to buy another Kawasaki when your Kawi needs to be replaced.  They put lots of time, effort, money into design and testing of their products.  If your bike doesn't last as long as other bikes you won't buy another Kawi.  They didn't think ATF was good in their bikes or they would tell you to use it.  I am open to suggestion and not closed minded.  I understand new products have come onto the market since the K5 came out, that have surpassed some of the old fluids.  Like the synthetic 2 stroke Bel- Ray H1-R that I choose to run in the gas.  When the recipe calls for egg you don't add salmon.
KX 500 Rider