Author Topic: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!  (Read 283909 times)

Offline alexander-vmann

Re: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!
« Reply #465 on: July 28, 2015, 06:23:16 AM »
and i just realised that coolant level would'nt have anything to say here, hower the engine only has 5-10 hours after rebuild (or that's atleast what previous owner claimed) and unless they didn,t change the seals and bearings that means the seals should'nt be worn out, however i did notice that the clutch basket was kinda wobbely, but could this ruin the seals in just 5-10 hours?
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #466 on: July 28, 2015, 07:13:29 AM »
the engine only has 5-10 hours after rebuild, that means the seals should'nt be worn out

however i did notice that the clutch basket was kinda wobbely, but could this ruin the seals in just 5-10 hours?

the 1st sentence means absolutely nothing...seals can go at any given time, new or old.

the 2nd sentence confirms my suspicions....anything "wobbling" is bad, really bad..."usually", but not always, caused by a worn bearing, which will eventually destroy the seal.
either way, I'm thinkin you need to crack open the bottom end, and start investigating.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #467 on: July 28, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »
the engine only has 5-10 hours after rebuild, that means the seals should'nt be worn out

however i did notice that the clutch basket was kinda wobbely, but could this ruin the seals in just 5-10 hours?
either way, I'm thinkin you need to crack open the bottom end, and start investigating.
think im going to wait for warmer and dryer wheater to make sure it's not the jetting, then when i get some money ill but some new cushions bearing and clutch, is there a way to install the clutch bearing without splitting the case?
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #468 on: July 28, 2015, 07:29:17 AM »
let me ask you this...have you noticed your gearbox oil getting low mysteriously?...if not, keep a close eye on the level.

you have all the symptoms of a bad crank seal....
at your current jetting and air temps...it should not be smoking excessively at all...
you said you hear a "rattle" coming from the motor...
you said the clutch basket "wobbles", quite possibly the "rattle" you're hearing...and a wobbling clutch basket will smoke the crank bearing(s) in time...
check the color of your spark plug...

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:18:22 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #469 on: July 28, 2015, 07:29:55 AM »
The clutch and bearing are on the end of the crank shaft.  No splitting of the
case.  Here's a break down of the '88.  The bearing for the clutch shows to be
discontinued.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=381700&category=Motorcycles&make=KAWASAKI&year=1988&fveh=8823

Best wishes.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #470 on: July 28, 2015, 07:33:19 AM »
Hope for the best, prepare for the worse.
KX 500 Rider

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #471 on: July 28, 2015, 07:37:54 AM »
the original oil plug has been welded shut and relocated by previous owner but the weld is not a 100% tight so it's always leaking a tiny bit, nothing major, other then that oil level has always been fine, the rattle always been the for me (even on the 2013 kx250f i had) so it migth just be me being paronaid as i tend to be when it comes to my dirtbike,  :| although im not actully made of money so i can't get a new clutch for a while and 87 mod appears to be extinct  :|
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #472 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:18 AM »
at this point...I myself would break the whole motor down.
the person you bought it from obviously raked you over the coals, and sold you a bike/motor that's clapped out....better to tear it all down now, and replace all the bearings and all the seals....then you KNOW what you have, and aren't "hoping" the guy that sold you it did it.
otherwise you could be having constant issues...and breaking down out in the woods, or where ever.

it sucks, I know...I've been there....that's why any used bike I buy now, gets COMPLETELY torn down, and completely gone over, with all new bearings and seals....and I don't mean just the motor...everything.

you can get the bearings made from a local bearing shop if need be...that can save you a lot of money.

OR...you can sell the motor, and use the money towards a newer motor.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:44:51 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #473 on: July 28, 2015, 07:46:49 AM »
Hope for the best, prepare for the worse.

ah as always!  :-D seem to do thhat alot with this bike  :-P the more i work on the bike the more i realise that ''donkey's are alot like dirtbikes they are almost as stubborn!''
KX 500 newbie

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #474 on: July 28, 2015, 07:50:15 AM »
at this point...I myself would break the whole motor down.
the person you bought it from obviously raked you over the coals, and sold you a bike/motor that's clapped out....better to tear it all down now, and replace all the bearings and all the seals....then you KNOW what you have, and aren't "hoping" the guy that sold you it did it.
otherwise you could be having constant issues...and breaking down out in the woods, or where ever.

it sucks, I know...I've been there....that's why any used bike I buy now, gets COMPLETELY torn down, and completely gone over, with all new bearings and seals....and I don't mean just the motor...everything.

you can get the bearings made from a local bearing shop if need be...that can save you a lot of money.

OR...you can sell the motor, and use the money towards a newer motor.

i still have a bucket of engine parts that looks to be the original motor so if im lucky i can save up some money and ship it to sandblaster and have him rebuild the original 93 engine and also find the missing parts  :-o i mean if im going to spend the money on rebuilding a engine migth aswell be the newer original rigth? i just hope the is'nt a serious unfixable reason it got swapped out in the first place
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:53:33 AM by alexander-vmann »
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #475 on: July 28, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »
i still have a bucket of engine parts that looks to be the original motor so if im lucky i can save up some money and ship it to sandblaster and have him rebuild the original 93 engine and also find the missing parts  :-o i mean if im going to spend the money on rebuilding a engine migth aswell be the newer original rigth? i just hope the is'nt a serious unfixable reason it got swapped out in the first place

that's a good plan....providing he doesn't ship you back a KX65 motor :lol: :lol: :evil:

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #476 on: July 28, 2015, 08:16:19 AM »

that's a good plan....providing he doesn't ship you back a KX65 motor :lol: :lol: :evil:

well that would solve all the kids asking ''can i try?'' problem  :-D
KX 500 newbie

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #477 on: July 28, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »
forgot to mention but after i ran the bike for a minute with the excessive smoke i looked at the air screw and it was 2 turns out, could this with the dense humidity make it smoke alot?
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #478 on: July 28, 2015, 11:27:35 AM »
nope.

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #479 on: July 28, 2015, 11:40:29 AM »
nope.

AAaaannd im back at engine rebuild  :-D
KX 500 newbie