Author Topic: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!  (Read 283837 times)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2004, 03:39:38 AM »
Well, I called the Kaw dealer and they said they are waiting on a call from Stator Corp. for numbers. They told me this like 3 days ago. The guy told me that they are reading it at like 33% but want to make sure from a pro. Well, funny thing is, I know Dave (owner) @ Stator Corp. So, I call Dave and he says he has not recieved any calls about a kx500. So, I just got off the phone with the dealer saying I'm coming to get my bike (finally), and I will order and install a stator myself. If that does not fix it, then I will start with a plate then a coil. Something will do the trick.

I'm sick of riding minibikes (125s and 250s)  :mrgreen: I'm waitin' to get on that 5hunny.

kawdude

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2004, 12:37:55 PM »
I hate dealing with the dealer.  I think they are all crooks.

I sounds like that dealer is guessing.  Makes me wonder if they even checked the stator.

toddwunsch

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2004, 10:23:12 AM »
The jetting on 1/8 to 1/4 throttle is fickle on my bike.  Very sensitive to altitude, heat, humidity, etc..  I purchased the adjustment screw from Zip-Ty that allows me to virtually change this setting while I'm sitting on the bike.  It has really helped.  I carry a few different pilots to get me from one extreme to the next but most of the time, adjusting my air screw works just fine.  Check the plugs, oil on filter, and keep that carb clean.

Todd

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2004, 11:29:47 AM »
Well, I just got it back, I feel like Hulkster, but I guess my prob is mechanical not law. :-) The stator is going to be in tomarrow and I am going to take a big ride this coming Sunday, which I'm in the process of getting all the bikes ready.  :-) Any, in the PIC note the Licenese Plate..  8)

kawdude

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2004, 02:56:54 PM »
Nice bike and nice truck!!

I was reading in "another" forum regarding big bore packages that Gore does in general need to be leaned out.  This surprised the heck out of me.  Any thoughts?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2004, 03:22:53 PM »
Quote from: kawdude

I was reading in "another" forum regarding big bore packages that Gore does in general need to be leaned out.  This surprised the heck out of me.  Any thoughts?

Thanks..

Well, coming from Rich, I'd assume he knows most his stuff. I'd run off his oppinion before most anybodys. But, like you said, does that imply with the kx500. I'm assuming so.

Hey, how's the luck on the jetting for your bike?

mikesmith

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2004, 08:21:22 PM »
Did you ever contact Gorr since he had just done your engine?

kawdude

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2004, 03:07:12 AM »
Rich's response was this...

Scavenging tends to be improved with the big-bore kit and porting. With improved scavenging comes less residual burned exhaust gas in the chamber and a need for less fuel to use all the available oxygen.  WHERE in the range that will occur is very much bike specific , but again generally speaking (can you tell I HATE making generalizations? :)  )  the fuel curve tends to need to be a bit  leaner across the board.

I'm afraid there is no general prescription answer to a question like this.

Quote from: gowen

Thanks..

Well, coming from Rich, I'd assume he knows most his stuff. I'd run off his oppinion before most anybodys. But, like you said, does that imply with the kx500. I'm assuming so.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2004, 03:19:28 AM »
I'm assuming that makes sense. Utilizing the oxyigen there for not needing quite as much fuel. Well, ups has them on the brown for delivery today! So, I'm gonna give that stator a try and pray  :roll: it works, if so, jetting is gonna be the next object. Which I'd be more than happy to keep you posted on that.

How is the jetting going on your side? as in, still popping and surging?

Rich's response was this...

Scavenging tends to be improved with the big-bore kit and porting. With improved scavenging comes less residual burned exhaust gas in the chamber and a need for less fuel to use all the available oxygen.  WHERE in the range that will occur is very much bike specific , but again generally speaking (can you tell I HATE making generalizations? :)  )  the fuel curve tends to need to be a bit  leaner across the board.

I'm afraid there is no general prescription answer to a question like this.

Quote from: gowen

Thanks..

kawdude

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2004, 03:25:25 AM »
Leaning out the pilot to a 55 seemed to get rid of the popping and surging after I let off the gas but still have the problem with the bike running rough in the mid and upper range.  Not go past mid.  My next test will entail placing the needle clip in the upper slot and then the lower slot in an attempt to change the response.  I also need to make sure the power valve is working right.

mikesmith

« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2004, 07:59:56 AM »
It makes me wonder  that you both have his 520 engine and both seem to be having a lot of problems getting it to run clean, and his answer doesnt sound like much help for all the hair pulling your going through.How was it before the engine work,meaning did you have all these jetting issues ect. before?

kawdude

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2004, 08:58:26 AM »
My bike was shot before the restoration.  I've never had the "priviledge" of working on such a wore out hunk of machinery before this.  It definately runs much better since the redoing the topend and crank but need to dial in the jetting.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2004, 04:20:29 PM »
Well, stator is in, bike is together. I am ready to give it a run. I did fire it up and it started second kick (serious ass kick) Usally not the norm. Usally lay it down. But I do have a new IX plug in it. So, I'm thinking that is it. Anyway, fired it up, it puffs like 10 times then died. Maybe hope! I then restarted it, gave it some rev and it sounded VERY unclean. Just mushy down low and lotsa smoke. d**n! I'm hoping that is cause of the choke, but I know that is NOT the case. Again, d**n! I'm out of qestions or ideas.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2004, 04:22:49 PM »
Did I forget to mention d**n!

kawdude

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2004, 03:11:46 PM »
First test the coil to make sure its good.  Sounds like this could be a jetting issue. :shock:  

Have you tried rejetting...:wink: