Author Topic: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!  (Read 283972 times)

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
Re: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!
« Reply #315 on: April 02, 2009, 01:54:37 AM »
Please if you guys dont mind giving a few thoughts..

Proposed jetting for an upcoming ride at Goler in socal in two weeks...

Just O/H'd topend, window piston, V2 reeds, stock pipe.

168/55, N82R needle, 2nd position from top. Will I be OK down there? Im used to riding at 4500-5000 ft.

40:1 Maxima semi-synth oil.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #316 on: April 02, 2009, 03:47:23 AM »
Mine ran real good with that tune @ 700 ft 50 deg. I forget the psi and humidity but they were about normal for mid USA. Stewart suggested that I go with a 175/52 center clip...It ran better there...Piston window, Fatty pipe, PC 304 silancer, V Force 2 reeds, 37cc head, B9EV plug.

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #317 on: April 02, 2009, 07:17:52 AM »
Mine ran real good with that tune @ 700 ft 50 deg. I forget the psi and humidity but they were about normal for mid USA. Stewart suggested that I go with a 175/52 center clip...It ran better there...Piston window, Fatty pipe, PC 304 silancer, V Force 2 reeds, 37cc head, B9EV plug.

JFAB

I assume a N82M needle?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #318 on: April 02, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »
oooops....Yes..N82M
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:34:28 AM by jfabmotorsports.com »
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #319 on: April 03, 2009, 04:16:19 AM »
Good,
  When you start doing plug chops make sure that you get the main figured out first.  Normally what I do is set the main, then set all the others then go back and verify that the main is still good.  Also, make sure that you set your float level before you start. Cam.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #320 on: April 03, 2009, 05:27:12 AM »
Copy that.  I got everything installed, then took it all apart again to put the needle in the 1st clip (top) from the short end.  I put everything back together and tonight I'm gonna fire it up and see where we're at.  I think the 160 will be a good starting point for the main, and other than a possible lean idle (50 pilot might be a little lean), everything else should let me dial in the main without hinderance.

I'm going to try the 160 first, but if it's lean, I have a 162 also.  From there, we'll see.  I'm hoping that 50 is spot-on.

Thank you for all your help, I'm supposed to go riding at hotwell dunes tomorrow.  Might get some vid. :-D

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #321 on: April 03, 2009, 02:40:44 PM »
The power was unaffected either way (still sub-250 power) by the changes :cry: but it runs much more poorly.  Still no dial-a-wheelie in really any gear other than first...

The bike seems to be running lean now.  When it's hot and under load at lower RPMs it makes all kinds of nasty rattling noises...  detonation I suppose.  It seems to go away as the RPMs climb. 

The plug seemed dark with the 168, but really lean with the 160...  I need to go back to the 168 on the main.  I was able to get it to idle with the 50, and it sounds good, but when riding, letting off the throttle the idle surges.  Bummer. :|

I'm thinking of putting the needle back in the middle position and going back to the 168 main, but keeping the 50 pilot.  I'll try that tomorrow.  It's unfortunate, but I guess I was close originally.  I was just hoping to gain some pipe...

The plug read lean.  I rode for approximately 1/2 a mile pinned up a gradual incline and the plug looked like new with white ash on the strap.  Thinking that was not enough time, I then rode pinned back and forth for several miles and read it and the strap had minimal discoloration.  The porcelain middle was still white though, with maybe a minimal beige tint.  Maybe someone else can help me out here.  I'm really not sure on the plug reading, but the plug still looked new with minimal tarnish...

I was really hoping it'd come alive, but instead I'm bummed out. :cry:

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but what is your elevation?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Offline Hick

« Reply #323 on: April 05, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
I just had a dial a jet installed and rode from 200 ft up to about 6000 and had no issues.  I was wondering if anyone else has had one of these installed on their carb?

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #324 on: April 06, 2009, 03:02:44 AM »
I'm at approximately 3000' elevation and ride from 2500-5000' depending on where I go.

My old (normal riding) plug is almost black or like really dark chocolate brown, so I would think something's rich...

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #325 on: April 06, 2009, 06:42:11 AM »
Good,
  I think you will find that at your altitude the 168 will be rich.  I would suggest changing one thing at a time and starting with a 165 main and your needle clip up one position from center.  FYI the clip pos are numbered 1 to 5, top to bottom so stock is #3 and you should start out at #2.  Do some plug chops and get a general idea of how it feels.  I have used those at 3000' and know they work well.  How is the starting and idle with the 50p?  Cam.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #326 on: April 06, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »
Starts great, 2nd or third kick cold and idles great.  She definitely has more compression than the '02 CR250 I rode all day Saturday.  But, when I'm riding (bike's hot and just after being under load) and pull in the clutch though it surges just for a quick second, then back to normal idle, then surges, then normal, etc.  It would be like if I was barely blipping the throttle to keep it going.  It does this for a few minutes before resuming a normal idle, but, it will idle fine.  Wierd, but fine.

The rattleing noises concern me and I'm scared of a lean condition, but I'll change the needle position to see if that helps.  Maybe I'll get some video.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #327 on: April 06, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »
Have you checked for an air leak (leak down test)? Sounds as the intermittent jetting issues could be just that.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #328 on: April 09, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »
I wouldn't have a clue as to how to perform that.

Here's a couple vids.  I don't know if you can see the smoke.  This is with week-old Maxima Super M at 32:1 that I had mixed up for the weedeater.  Some of the dust is from the vibration of the rear tire in the dirt.  I'm either binging the throttle or completely off it.  You can hear the idle surges that I'm talking about.  Under full throttle, it actually still looks rich to me.  Let me know what you think. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-CV8lXctqU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4gsJg1wy0

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #329 on: April 09, 2009, 05:02:29 PM »
Good,
  It would be helpful to label what your present jetting is each post.  What main and pilot are you running right now? Cam.