Author Topic: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!  (Read 283868 times)

Fookeneh

Re: Jetting!!! Again and again and again!
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2004, 05:22:06 AM »
:shock: yikes,it sounds like it could have been much worse. Thats the thing about these bikes, they run so nice in 5th ,it's easy to get lost as to how fast your actually going.  
          Best of wishes on a good healing.

mikesmith

« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2004, 07:21:07 AM »
To bad we cant just put a new sub frame and fender on you and have you ready to go like your bike!

kawdude

« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2004, 10:53:40 AM »
OUCH!  That really sucks and I glad to hear you're still around.  I keep posting my tests...

Twist-a-grip

« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2004, 02:04:17 PM »
These bikes command respect.  If you don't respect them they will bite you.  But you really have to say the guys that own and ride these machines also command respect.  Not  just anyone can get on it and make it shine.  Maybe we're all just a little nuts (or packing big ones :shock: ).  Hope you don't let the wreck get ya down and that you mend fast.  It sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

John

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2004, 05:38:15 AM »
Well, I look at it this way, it is a time to tear completely down and rebuild everything. I've got on order all new carb hoses, swing arm bearings, shock/linkage bearings, steering bearings, wheel bearings, and a new rear finder. :-) Soon a sub frame (stock, used if I can find one), front tire, and new front brake assy (as stock don't work worth a d**n)

Anyway, the few months are an excuse to fix the old bike up and running like a 2004. :-)  8)

Twist-a-grip

« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2004, 02:37:21 PM »
That's the spirit!  Get er done!

kawdude

« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2004, 02:58:32 PM »
Gowen, what type of rear fender did you get.  500 style or 250?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2004, 04:07:15 PM »
Hi Kawdude, I got a 250 fender. I'm working on installing the new top-end and the steering bearings. Also waiting on a subframe. :-( Almost there though. :-) I guess I will just creep on my the four wheeler until my arm heals up nice.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2004, 05:42:59 PM »
Kawdude, have you gotten any better results with the jetting? I get my cast removed this coming Monday and can't wait to break the carb down and find more power in this beast.

kawdude

« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2004, 05:58:55 PM »
I've been holding on changing anything but the slow screw just to see what changes I can make.  I still think that I have too much smoke at idle and rich mid and up but its still a work in progress.  Right now I'm having a tuff time starting it after it sits.  Seems to flood very easy after coming down to the 165M.  Weird I know.  I may play with the timing a little within the next week.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2004, 03:47:42 PM »
Continued: Well, I have worked more on the jetting on the big KX trying to get it perfect. I decided to continue, A, cause my cast is now gone :-D, & B my idle is still kinda slow with the screw all the way in. So, here I go again, BTW, clean airfilter, new topend, and good reeds. I left off at 45 Pilot, top clip (bottomed out), and a 162 main jet. Well, I decided to drop the pilot again, just to see if it helps, and yes, my idle has raised a notch, using the air screw slowly, I have found that 2.5 turns out has given the best idle responce. It has greatly improved the idle and the 1/8th throttle. It's amazing how low I'm having to go for a KX. Being that I'm at 42 at 2.5, I'm hoping to get my hands on a 40 to see how it is going to work. But, so far, moving down has helped alot.

The needle is still at the lowest point, top notch. When I would hit between the 1/4th to 1/2th throttle, it would not respond right away, it would bog a second and then hit hard. So, I think I will lift the needle a notch tomarrow to richen the circut on the needle.

The main jet is still a wonder. I decided to do a throttle chop dealy and see how it works, at a 162 I did a WFO for about 30 seconds, pulled the NEW plug out and saw a light tan on the insulator up high. Then did another WFO run for about 1 minute and revealed a light tan on the tip and a grey base/almost like a light black. Assuming not lean, but more rich, not sure, I will get pictures.

I'm afriad that I'm moving too far into this, but being that it is still not idling very well (as well as it should). I'd hate to end a riding day early to to a d**n seizure. Any oppinions?

Updated Carb Specs:

42 Pilot
2.5 Air Screw
1st clip (lowered to last notch)
#7 Slide
162 Main Jet

Thanks

kawdude

« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2004, 01:24:50 PM »
I'm concerned with doing a wot and letting off the gas with a 42 in it.  I'm still playing with mine and will post what I do for comparison.  Right now I've got a 55, clip in 2nd pos. and 165 main.  Popping pretty good.  Dropped to 3rd and reduced the popping.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2004, 09:20:49 AM »
Well, here is where I'm at so far, I've moved to the second notch due to a slightly lean mid throttle range. That seems to have done the trick for the mid range/top-end range. It has done well, but we finally got a 50% humidity day here and I took it to the track yesterday and did some trails and got ALOT of smoke during the trails part, but on the track, no problem, except for wide open runs for a brief second, I get ALOT of smoke, but eventually goes away, until I let it idle or keep the rpms/throttle down. After a few runs on the track the idle starts moving in the upper range (finally) and starts acting lean, as in surging, nearly causing an accident as the throttle was over sensitive. So, I moved the air screw back to a 1.5 and that fixed the major surging and sensitivity, but caused a load more smoke. So, it feels like I may be lean, but the smoke is killing me and the riders behind me. I'm starting to think my main jet is rich, but being at a 162, I have my doubts. Any thoughts?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2004, 09:36:43 AM »
What are you running for a fuel:oil mixture?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2004, 09:46:16 AM »
Quote from: Paul
What are you running for a fuel:oil mixture?

32:1 running Super Techniplate and sometimes Benol by Klotz.