Author Topic: wanting to open up a shop  (Read 7784 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: wanting to open up a shop
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 05:16:20 AM »
What about a partner? Do you have someone that could share or maybe rent a bay from you to perform his own type of maybe suspension work or other bike related stuff? I have been racking my brain for a few years to start my own off road based company. I got the web site part of it started and running pretty good but getting a location and stuff set up just has not happened. Good Luck.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 08:54:49 AM »
Your in Nevada, move a mobile home out back. Man I come up with some good ideas. 
You'll have to run it by the wife,  but tell her (any name but mine) has this great idea.

BDI  Brothel.  OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!
KX 500 Rider

Offline BDI

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 04:57:07 PM »
Hey Danger, Great idea he could even put a bed in that shop along with a cash drop box coming into the MAIN house...  I could rake in the cash and he could sleep in the shop...  You are amazing.  What a thinker...  LOL Yes I am his wife and I hacked into his favorite little world...
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »
In general what has been very helpful to me is not borrowing money to get started.  I skimped and delayed purchases that in my younger days I would have deemed "necessary" to run the business and I would have falsely justified the incurred debt and mentally minimized the subsequent large risk.  Needless to say it's hard work, but well worth it. 

And there you have it....
I had several people including relatives offering to be partners, give loans, and of course all the credit card companies begging me to sign on the dotted line.
I resisted the temptations and stayed focused.
Now as the economy has declined and business has slowed some we are building a new shop and looking to hire another person.

As a manager of a business, I'm actually janitor, manager, all most President.  All I can say is get your tongue ready to have a hole in it from biting it.  You HAVE to be nice to everyone even when they are A- holes to you.

I expect my employees to be courteous and polite.
However I don't expect them to take verbal abuse from a customer.
Since 2003 we have only had one customer that could not be reasoned with.
He was given fair warning 3 times, then he was shown the door and the police were called.
Sometimes you have to eat some crow to get to the turkey, but that doesn't mean you have to let the buzzard bite you in the backside.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 12:20:08 AM »
Hey Danger, Great idea he could even put a bed in that shop along with a cash drop box coming into the MAIN house...  I could rake in the cash and he could sleep in the shop...  You are amazing.  What a thinker...  LOL Yes I am his wife and I hacked into his favorite little world...
Oh no, busted.  Now that I'm thinking clearly,  it must have been the bike crash right before I posted that.  I hit my head, got sand in my eye, then the dog came back and bit me for not keeping up.  Ah.......I don't even remember posting that.
KX 500 Rider

Offline BDI

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 02:05:12 AM »
Good Save...  LOL... The Wife!
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:25 AM »
that isn't right. a female voice coming from BDI's avatar. 
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »
AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!! we've been invaded by females.She must wear the trousers though, what with a certain person giving out recipes and all.Whats the world coming to. anyway, must dash, im going shopping, need some new high heels..... :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline dirtjunkie85

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 10:00:37 AM »
you could always be a parts distributer as well to fuel the performance fire. Rocky mountain has a descent dealer program you can order parts through on occasion.
Motorcycle Parts Dealer