Author Topic: Clutch plate interchangibility  (Read 2266 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Clutch plate interchangibility
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:30:12 AM »
As you are probably aware,the early kx5's up to the 86 b2 use a 5 spring clutch instead of the 6 springer of the 87 on models.Although, the mitaka forged basket fits the 86-04 kx5 and the 90-92 kx250.All the clutch plate kits say 87-04.I will count the number of friction and driven plates, and the amount of inner and outer driven tabs of each type of plate, could another member who has easy access to a torn down clutch from an 87 on k5 have a look and do the same please?
I need to know number of friction plates and the number of basket tabs(should be same if baskets are as mitaka implies),

and number of steels and number of inner tabs....

Much obliged.I will be repeating this question many times in the future for other parts to try and build up a definitive guide to all areas of k5 interchangibility, which will be posted for everyone to use.If we do it this way we can be certain of the conclusion and fillin the gaps that the part numbers leave.K.

Almost forgot.When answering this type of query, could each member try and remember to put the model or yr of the component/bike they checked.

This will mainly benefit owners of older bikes so I thank you upfront from the owners of the older bikes, but good reference for us all.K.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:39:07 AM by kwakman »
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: Clutch plate interchangibility
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:37:21 AM »
Oh yeah, I will be checking an early type 86 clutch, just in case that wasn't clear.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 11:00:49 AM »
86 clutch             no of plates                         driven tabs

friction plate              8                                       12(outer tabs)

driven steels              7                                       37(inner tabs)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:17:09 AM »
No rush................................................................................................... :roll:

Offline jonny500

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:56:10 AM »
YEP 89 - 04 IS THE SAME 12 TAB AND 37

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:18:40 AM »
Thanks Jon. That confirms my suspicions, so i dont need to  find an 86 specific clutch kit, which is a good thing, cos there aint any. :-)