Author Topic: 500AF project  (Read 31474 times)

Offline trim

500AF project
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »
Just started a 500AF project this week picked up a 2000 KX 500 for a doner motor.Bought a pipe/silencer from Service Honda. I have a 06 450 frame.
Would I be better off with a newer frame 07-09??

Offline azracer19

Re: 500AF project
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »
I to have started collecting parts for an AF build, Not sure about any frame differences in an 06 or 07 I bought an 07 for $250.00 A brand new rear ohlins shock sprung to my weight plus 10 pounds for 200.00, swingarm $50.00 the frame came with tripple clamps. Also purchased a set of Radiators $70.00 excellent condition from a local off road racer here in AZ. Still need lots of parts as I am trying to Install new parts IE: AVS levers new wheels, sprockets, brake rotors ( WARP 9 ) heard alot of bad stuff about the DNA wheels. All new bearings to chassis parts, new step seat. All new plastic of coarse, I will have someone make the graphic, I dont want the generic monster or one industries stuff. The only thing used will be my 2001 KX 500 motor will a new top end and a airbox mod ( CR 250 ). Running to the shop to pick up some protappers and grips Also will be installing a scotts steering dampner, never rode with a GPR so I trust the scotts/ ohlins. Looking to gear it the same as my 500. 15/44. Wish me luck this will take sometime but I want to do it right. I will stay in contact with you if its cool and maybe we can share some ideas. My plan is to race this in some BITD and score races, and pass it on to my son when he returns from his marine Corps duty. One thing im really concerned about is the brake pedal on the KX450. I had a 450 before it was stolen and I was always hitting the back brakes, it seemed short to me in 11 1/2 alpine stars.

Offline trim

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:10:46 AM »
I was just courious about the frame I have a 06 with all the parts minus the wheels.In reading around I might just go with Excel rims just to be safe,Also have a line on a 08 450 it's a runner so might buy it and part it out some poor 4 stroker out there will need a motor soon. If not I have a 08 KLX 450 R that the motor could be modded for.I would like to run Ohlins forks/shock they are hard to find and exspensive in Canada.

see ya Glynn

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »
I would like to run Ohlins forks/shock they are hard to find and exspensive in Canada.

see ya Glynn

I have a set of Ohlins TTX forks and shock that I'm going to sell, A buddy bought them for a 08, the bike got stolen before the suspension arrived, he sold it to me this spring and I installed it on my 09, I will be getting a 2011 in a couple of weeks and have pulled of the Ohlins suspension with the intent of Ebaying it, it is in perfect condition and has fork springs and a titanium shock spring, if your interested let me know, otherwise its going on ebay. The shock was $1100, the forks were over $2000, forks springs $100 and the Ti shock spring was $500, make an offer.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline nikanor

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:58:01 PM »
I decided to follow the same way Azracer19. I have a '01 kx500 as a donor motor and now i am searcing ebay for a kx450 frame,swingarm to start the conversion. It will propably cost me more but this way i will have the bike as i like. What do you guys think about DNA rims and hubs is it worth it or should i stay with Excel/Talon? I notice that '06 '07 '08 frame, subframe, swingarm, linkage, triple clamps are the same this will help searching.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 11:20:15 PM »
nikanor, changing to dna from talon/excel would be a downgrade imo.spend the cash elsewhere, the dna kit looks flash granted, but looking good aint gonna help when getting major air.spend the cash on hybrid ceramic bearings.theyre expensive compared to steel, but much more likely to be round, they only need lube for the races, have less friction and last up to 5x longer.do a websearch for World Wide Bearings.They do engine/wheel and chassis bearings in ceramic material.hth,K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline azracer19

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 04:04:49 AM »
i did check into the DNA wheels, at the price they make a good spare set...... Whats your opinion on the warp 9 set up, there about 800.00 per set (front and back and they come with sprockets, brake rotars

Offline azracer19

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 04:12:45 AM »
Also, doing this conversion I can only think of one part i need from the 500 ( the motor and electronics. Will part out the rest desert tank , lots of extras. maybe help pay for some of the new parts I need for the conversion. Any ideas of what i need from the 500? One other question they make a short pull throttle for the kx 450f I haven't seen one for a 500, I know in the land before time I had a magura control setup with a half turn throttle, this was great on a smaller CC bike, however I did brake the ulna and the radius in my right wrist pretty bad, it was ugly as I landed on top of someone at the infomus double at LACR. well the thing is it takes alot of elbow to twist the throttle WFO.

Offline azracer19

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 04:16:08 AM »
I was just courious about the frame I have a 06 with all the parts minus the wheels.In reading around I might just go with Excel rims just to be safe,Also have a line on a 08 450 it's a runner so might buy it and part it out some poor 4 stroker out there will need a motor soon. If not I have a 08 KLX 450 R that the motor could be modded for.I would like to run Ohlins forks/shock they are hard to find and exspensive in Canada.

see ya Glynn

Item condition:   New
Ended:   Oct 21, 201013:46:23 PDT
Sold For:   US $290.00   
Add to list
Returns:   
No Returns Accepted
Shipping:   $25.00 Standard Shipping  |  See all details
Estimated delivery within 3-7 business days.

eBay will cover your purchase price plus original shipping.
Learn more
Beyong belief but there out there this is an original Ohlins shock, maybe he has more it came from ohlins usa I can provide you with email if you like

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:17:08 AM »
a short turn throttle would help with your injury but make the 500 lump VERY sensitive to throttle input.depends on what terrain you ride I suppose.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline azracer19

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 04:20:29 AM »
agreed i can twisting the throttle on the 500 motor dangerous but i need to do it does anyone know who makes one that will fit?

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 05:17:17 AM »
g2 cam system, just use a 92 and up kx250 throttle housing, i like rad mfg. hubs.

Offline azracer19

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 05:29:37 AM »
g2 cam system, just use a 92 and up kx250 throttle housing, i like rad mfg. hubs.
Thank you i will look for one, seems older KX parts are hard to find, and impossible to find for the 500

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 10:32:29 AM »

i had bad luck with RAD hubs.... Spun bearings in the rear and front hubs! Couldn't believe it... only 3 rides on them... I'm going with Excel / Talon on my AF build for sure...
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline don46

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
The DNA wheels look like they should be strong, but, they are made in China and assembled in the us. I have a couple of sets and honestly I wouldn't put them on anything with serious HP, check the spokes often because they come loose often. There are 3 different types of RAD hubs, unforunately the most expensive are the worst, Like Charlie I bought a set used, when I got them the bearings had spun and I think they spun because the spacers had to tight of a tolerance and you'd get enough flex that the spacer would tool block on the outer bearing race causing the bearing to spin
Live today, for tomorrow may never come