Author Topic: Paint  (Read 3374 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Paint
« on: November 02, 2005, 01:29:45 PM »
Hey Guy's. I'm going to paint my frame here in a couple of weeks kawasaki green. What kind or brand of paint have ya'll used :?: rockymountainmc.com sells factory color paint in spray cans. Will this stuff last if I prep and prime the frame :?:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Torch654

RE: Paint
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:53:47 PM »
I could be wrong but I would look into powder-coating if it were me.

Offline KXcam22

RE: Paint
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 03:03:34 PM »
Hughes,
 I highly suggest Imron (dupont) polyurethane 2 part paint.  It is auto paint. It is meant to be sprayed but brushes really nice. Dries tough.  Best I have used. Should be able to color match the Kaw color. Cam.

hoopty

Re: RE: Paint
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 03:10:59 PM »
Quote from: KXcam22
Hughes,
 I highly suggest Imron (dupont) polyurethane 2 part paint.  It is auto paint. It is meant to be sprayed but brushes really nice. Dries tough.  Best I have used. Should be able to color match the Kaw color. Cam.

Awesome paint, it actually behaves like a two part epoxy and looks like it's wet when it's dry.

Rowdy-Yates

RE: Re: RE: Paint
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 05:10:12 PM »
Hughes, I rattle canned mine and if I was to do it again I would spend the cash and powder coat.

Brett

RE: Re: RE: Paint
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 07:47:17 PM »
Definately powder coat it take a carton of piss down friday lunch time to local coaters and im sure they'll get it done.  One thing to make sure of when getting something powder coated is to plug all holes where you don't want it.

Offline Maicoman

Re: Paint
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:27:40 AM »

Hey Cam

Would you have the color code for imron paint. It would save me a lot of time. I have to paint outside and the weather will be turning soon.

Thanks
Al

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 03:16:23 AM »
Poly is almost as tough as powdercoat and you touch it up with a brush.  I did my frame with poly and the rest in powdercoat.  It is all holding up nicely.
Good luck
"Let there be light"

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 04:24:00 AM »
It's good to see people still look through the old post, makes it worth keeping them.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Maicoman

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 05:55:54 AM »

Polyurethane? Do you have a color name or #. What kind of primer is required?

I searched around , couldn't find anything specific.

If I can get a # I can have paint this weekend if not I'll have to wait till next weekend to match the frame color.

Thanks
Al

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 04:52:42 AM »
I recently rebuilt my dads golf cart and used spray on bed liner for the metal.  A frame blasted and sprayed in bed liner would be totally bulletproof.  I would do the skid plates too.  If you want bling, then this is not for you.  If you have a daily ride and want it to look respectable and last forever, this is it!  I used the rattle can, but would look into the commercial spray in stuff.  If you brought in a prepped frame I can't imagine it would cost as much as two part paint and powdercoat.

Fitz

Offline Maicoman

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 09:06:18 AM »
Hey Danger

Glad you're keeping the old posts, I have a lot of basic questions.