Author Topic: Pipe Problems..  (Read 4048 times)

FastKX500

Pipe Problems..
« on: May 28, 2004, 03:30:29 AM »
Ok I wanted to get my pro-circuit platnium pipe re-nickleplated, so i take it to get glass beated to get all the s**t off it, then after they do that they tell me that they cant nickle plate used stuff...so now im stuck with a dull pipe ready to rust if any water gets on it..any suggestions? I was going to just paint it black till i get a new one. Maybe ill take a pic and show u guys how it looks.

FastKX500

pics
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 03:54:52 AM »

I buffed my silencer, it was an ugly doll aluminium color.

Rick

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 04:16:20 AM »
I use high temp paint on my pipe.  Seems to work OK, but gets scratched.  Just means I have to repaint periodically.  I also run a heavy aluminum pipe guard which reduces the scratch problem.

Can't plate used stuff????  I have had lots of "used" parts chromed over the years, so you should not have a problem getting it nickeled.  Have you tried another shop?

Rick

FastKX500

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 04:20:17 AM »
I have an aluminum pipe guard also, and i checked 4 shops, they said something about all the carbon in the pipe...thats why they cant do it. I might just buy a new one, i can get one for around 160.00 :)

teamgreen500

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 11:57:12 AM »
Plug both ends and THEN plate.

Manny

Fookeneh

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 08:13:31 AM »
why not get it coated at jet -hot ?

kawdude

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 12:45:54 PM »
chrome it!!!

Offline bigborefan

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 12:53:59 PM »
just run it bare. spray it with wd-40 and clean with scotch brite.
2006 KTM 300XC
1994 KX 500 x 2
1991 KX 500
1988 KX 250

kawdude

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 04:07:02 PM »
Theres a lot of hi temp paint colors anymore.  I use black but there are numerous colors.  I don't understand what the heck there talking about.

What did you use to buff the silencer?  That looks sweet!
 :shock:

fast500#12

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 08:46:37 PM »
i have used this metal polish called blue magic. it is supposed to put a coat of silicone over the metal for protection but i imaging that it would just burn off the pipe. i think that you should go with the high temp kawi green, that would turn some heads. i can't beileve that they glass peened it before they told you they can't do used stuff. i talked to a chromer in oregon (where i am from) awhile back and he said that it was because the carbon and oils in the pipe ruin the chemicals in the bath and that the are pretty spendy to replace. plus the oils don't let the plating adhere to the metal properly and it would flake off in a short period of time. chromers are only as good as thier reputation so they don't want any thing negative said about them.

Fookeneh

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 06:02:54 AM »
the only plating process that I know of that doesn't flake or dis-color is JET HOT, or other similar companies. They do used parts, and the finished pipe would look like polished aluminum. A friend of mine had it done to his steet bike,and I had it done to my car headers... it's tougher than nails.It will only fade if you run lean and heat up the exhaust too much, but it will never burn off.

toddwunsch

Pipe Problems..
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2004, 05:27:47 PM »
Ty Davis has his pipes ceramic coated which is a pretty good idea that it maintains the gas heat inside the pipe for additional horsepower.  I went to Google and type in "ceramic coating steel" and found this site which actually shows old, used, rusty exhaust pipes that have been ceramic coated.  Check this out, it may be worth the effort to investigate.

www.classiccoatings.com/ceramicsearch.htm