Author Topic: 500 vs 450 article  (Read 9203 times)

Offline vwcamper74

500 vs 450 article
« on: October 23, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: 500 vs 450 article
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:46:18 PM »
The 500 still rocks imo

I second that.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »
The 500 still rocks imo

I second that.

for sure! kawi needs to put the 5hundo in the af frame from the factory and sell them out the door for 8 grand like the 4fiftys... they would blow the doors off the 4fiftys at the track... i can't wait to make mine....
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:24:20 AM »
That was a good article and the vid of the test was good too

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 04:17:45 AM »
That article and the Vid was excellent.
No doubt the K5 is not a modern, moto-x, short, jumpy, bumpy, track killer.
It does rule on large open area tracks where HP and stability is king.
I won't be trading my K5 for anything else in the foreseeable future.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ThrottleJunky

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 04:34:40 AM »
That's a great article!  At the bottom of the article theres a box that gives the website that has more info and dyno charts but couldn't get there. I'd love to see the rest of the info and data.  Couldn't get to the video either.

As far as the AF500 beating a 450 on a motocross track... let me share this with you guys

Like alot of you, I love the 500 and the smell of two strokes.   I add two stroke oil to my lawnmowers to make me feel good while cutting! Always thought the only place for four strokes was in a street bike.   I own a ZX1400 also.

That 500AF looks So-o-o-o good.  I'm a machinist, I have a few 500 motors, KXRiders.com for help, why not?  I found a 08 KX450 with a grenaded motor and started collecting parts to make one.  Got the frame rails from JFAB, built a jig to hold the frame while making the cuts and welding.  Got my Service Honda pipe. I was ready to launch this project!

THEN, Labor Day weekend, I went to a new MX track in this area that had many table tops and doubles that were right out of 180 degree, second and third gear turns.  I picked a guy that was going around the track at a pretty good clip to duck behind and learn the track.  He was on a 450.  After a few laps it was so obvious the torque and traction the 450 had that I didn't on the 500.  I even have a 18" Terraflex 150 on back!  I just thought I was hooking up. The 450 would leap across and I would land short, and rebounce on almost everyone of those jumps!

I know it  makes a difference the type of track your riding but it was plain as mud!

That was a BIG EYE OPENER for me!  Went home, scratched the 500AF project for now and started collection parts for the 450 motor repair! 

One might say that he was just faster than me but I could easily reel him back in every time, get back on his butt, then another one of those jumps, land short, bounce in the air again!   He would be a half a straight away ahead, reel hime back in. This happened lap after lap.  I rode 4 sessions with this guy so I had plenty time to analyze the situation.  He came over to talk between sessions about how fast that 500 was!

CAM described it in a similar thread a while back. Four stroke power "tractors" out of the turn while the two stroke is "on top" of the dirt, not hooking up as well as the four stroke.

For those of you that are into Vibration analysis, my description of this 500 - 450 power delivery issue can kinda be compared to vibration harmonics.   The 450 has higher ACCELERATION and the 500 has higher VELOCITY!

I know the AF's suspension, frame geometry and handling is superior to the 500 but like we all know, you have to get the power to the ground.  Maybe get one  of those traction control devices off of the 2011 ZX10 to put on an AF!

I will continue the AF project as soon as I get another 450.

I even stopped calling my four stroke buddies "four stroke faggots"!

Sorry for being so long winded.  This thread just caught me a the right time...

'There's more living in five minutes flat-out on a bike than some men have in an entire life'.

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 06:29:59 AM »
I love my 03 K5 with all my heart,,,but I bought the 09 450F for the 2 wheel drive,,,I thought I might swap out the 4 stroke for the 500,,,I fell in love again,,,the EFI and engine braking as well as the smooth power on trails got me. My K5 is a sweet trail bike too,,,so like a polygamist I have just expanded my love. I just traded an older 4 wheeler for a XR650L with only 1200 miles for dual sport riding. I have my wandering eye out for a Harley now,,,and I think to myself what a wonderful world.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline ThrottleJunky

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:04:05 AM »
Yep, I'll take one of every kind!!!!!!!!!!!!
'There's more living in five minutes flat-out on a bike than some men have in an entire life'.

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:38:13 AM »
Took the 500 riding this weekend at Attica, IN.  The bike performed flawlessly.  After half a day, I too came to the same conclusions listed above.  The 500 is a much more "thrilling" ride by far, but the big 4 stroke puts power to the ground much more effectively. I am no A rider.  If I was good enough to better manage the fully developed "on the pipe" power of the 500 things might be different.  But the truth is that I can keep more power on, longer, more consistantly with the 4 stroke.  That being said,  I had a blast on the 500 and have no intentions of ever selling it.  I let my riding buds all ride it and everyone comes back with a smile on their face!

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:22:12 AM »
Yes I know what you are saying, I use my Kx5 when ever possible for mx. But I mainly us my 450 for mx as most of the tracks have lots of jumps but this weekened our last meeting is in a 30 acre field with a track being marked out with tape so the kx will be used. I too find the fourstrokes easier to ride, I am also no A class rider but when you do use the kx it does bring a smile to your face in a different way than the fourstroke and its always fun to see other riders giving you a nod when you roll out the 500. And when the 450 is changed out for another as time rolls by, the 500 will always be in the garage for those type of mx meetings we have  :wink:

Offline Rd

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 08:05:18 AM »
Agree with all above the 450's put it to the ground smooth and trackable.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 08:59:56 AM »
I ride a five cos I want to scare the shizzle out of myself.might not be easy to ride round a track, but nothing in my life that was worth doing ever was.Diesels are for canal boats and folk with no throttle control.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 09:41:38 AM »
I ride a five cos I want to scare the shizzle out of myself.might not be easy to ride round a track, but nothing in my life that was worth doing ever was.Diesels are for canal boats and folk with no throttle control.

Same reason here. I love the fact that there is more power than usually anyone needs. Like taking a 500 S&W to a knife fight. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDRE2gvRHn8
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline alward25

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »
" Don't be a pussy Bobby!" HAHAHAHAHAHA words to live by.

Same reason here. I love the fact that there is more power than usually anyone needs. Like taking a 500 S&W to a knife fight. LOL

"Let there be light"

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »
" Don't be a pussy Bobby!" HAHAHAHAHAHA words to live by.

LOL love his reaction
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.