Author Topic: How to make the engine look new?  (Read 8837 times)

Offline SweetTea

How to make the engine look new?
« on: October 15, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
What's the best way to clean all the crud off the K5's engine?  I use Simple Green usually to wash my machines, and it keeps them clean.  However, since I just purchased this used K5, it has a bit more baked on crud then what I would let my machines get on them.  So, Purple Power and a tooth brush?  Or what about Engine Brite?  Would it be to strong on aluminum parts all over?

I searched on this subject and found mixed reviews, seems like most like purple power, but haven't heard anything on Engine Brite.  I want to do the best I can to make that machine look like it came off the showroom floor.

Thanks!

Offline ShadeTreeFab

Re: How to make the engine look new?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:02:19 AM »
baking soda blast

Offline SweetTea

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
What kind of machine would I need for that, any thing from harbor freight that I could hook up to my air compressor?

Thanks.

Offline Rooster452

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 02:23:31 PM »

Offline traileater

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Amazing! Enviro friendly, dissolves/cleans up with water and cheap.
Thanks for that link!

2000 kx250
2002 crf450
1995 CR250

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »
HF has a all right set up for like $18, i have a good size blaster i use.

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »
I may have to try this.  Should be fine just blasting the bike as is without tearing it down.  May not get all the tight spots but anything would make my bike look better.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 09:00:55 PM »
What's the best way to clean all the crud off the K5's engine?  I use Simple Green usually to wash my machines, and it keeps them clean.  However, since I just purchased this used K5, it has a bit more baked on crud then what I would let my machines get on them.  So, Purple Power and a tooth brush?  Or what about Engine Brite?  Would it be to strong on aluminum parts all over?

I searched on this subject and found mixed reviews, seems like most like purple power, but haven't heard anything on Engine Brite.  I want to do the best I can to make that machine look like it came off the showroom floor.

Thanks!

Use this along with a scotchbrite pad your engine will shine like BRAND NEW !

http://www.clean-rite.com/purplepower_industrial_strength_cleaner_degreaser.html
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline SweetTea

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »
Thanks for the great ideas, looks like I'll be adding a baking soda blaster to my arsenal!

Offline greencannon

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 04:10:54 PM »
Yup,  Baking soda blasting is king. But if your looking for a quick spray on and scrub with toothbrush method then Mr. Clean Power Dissolver for pots and pans works wonders. It comes in a little blue spray bottle. You can find it with the dish soaps at the supermarket. this stuff blows away simple green, purple power, engine brite, super clean, ect.
I use it for once and a while maintainence.

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 08:51:29 AM »
I think its actually Dawn Power Dissolver.  Either way it does work awesome.

Another great cleaning method is to cook parts in antifreeze.  It may be a bit hard to do with bike parts but I use it on my RC airplane engines.  I fill a crockpot with antifreeze, drop the engine in and cook it on low over night.  They come out looking like new.  Just be sure to never use that crockpot again for anything else.  You would need an enourmous crockpot to clean bike parts though.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1137352&highlight=crockpot
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:55:17 AM by littlewing78 »

Offline traileater

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »
Ive done the same thing with the rc engines, but it didnt do much for bike parts. Does it work for you?
2000 kx250
2002 crf450
1995 CR250

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »
Never tried it on the bike.  I just got into riding.  I did use the Power Dissolver yesterday and it works great on the bike.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 10:06:25 PM »
You could go the hardcore route and polish your entire engine.Said John.With no fingers left, and a compulsive urge to eat Autosol out the tube. :roll:
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Rooster452

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 01:35:05 AM »
You could go the hardcore route and polish your entire engine.Said John.With no fingers left, and a compulsive urge to eat Autosol out the tube. :roll:

Sounds like he needs help!