Author Topic: Hydroblast frame?????  (Read 1663 times)

Offline butchpatrick

• Legends never die!!!
Hydroblast frame?????
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
I'm wanting to take my frame down to the bare bone, but dont want to take the time to sand. My Q. is that if I hydroblast the frame( thats with water) will that mess it up or will I have problems when I go and paint it.I blast for a liveing and have seen stuff come off surfaces that I thought was there forever. Im thinking that 10K-15k PSI with a spinner tip will do the job. THANKS for all the advise!! GO GREEN!!!!!!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Hydroblast frame?????
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:49:13 AM »
I'm the manager at a facility that does plastic bead and aluminum oxide (Alox) blasting.  We also do shot peening.
We do all kinds of motorcycle frames.  The main bulk of our work is rare cars or muscle cars.  We use Alox on all frames unless they ask for plastic bead.  The Alox gives the metal a slight etch that holds paint very well.
Most frames have a few small holes to drain condensation from inside the frame.  If you use the hydroblast I would use the hottest water possible.  It will heat up the frame and dry the water that gets inside.  That's how people clean black powder rifles.  They use boiling water, it gets the barrel so hot it will self dry.  With super high pressure water I would watch out for the small tabs that could bend.  Like the one that holds the rear master cylinder brake reservoir.  I personally would not use water.  I would find someone that does Alox blasting.  We would do a K5 frame for about 30 bucks.  As long as it was not powder coated.
KX 500 Rider

Offline butchpatrick

• Legends never die!!!
Re: Hydroblast frame?????
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »
Danger thanks for the help. If I cant find someone to take the job i'll geet the info to wear your at and send you the frame and again thanks for the advice!!