Author Topic: Stator removal??  (Read 3632 times)

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Stator removal??
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 05:04:46 AM »
brian is right you don't here customers telling everybody that somebody does great work, but they will tell the whole world if somebody does crappy work.

Offline 3Razors

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 05:57:05 AM »
True, the biggest problem people have with them is when they are set correctly they are hard to start especially on a 500, so most people give up.  It takes a very strong swift kick to get the engine to spin fast enough because with pvl you don't have flywheel inertia.  I got the hang of it, but lately the best mod I recommend to make life easier with one is get the JFab compression relief setup, it starts like a 125 now.  .090 was the final setting that I run.  I had Jerry Hall set it up, we had the bike connected to a tachometer with a timing light at the flywheel, started it up and revved to 6K rpm the marks are dead on.  The power delivery with one is viscous and cracks like lightning.

So .090 will give you 19 degrees @ 6K rpm factory timing.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:01:02 AM by 3Razors »

Offline don46

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 01:11:12 PM »
I ran a PVL for several years, it worked OK wouldn't say it was exceptional. as I recall the timing was set at .090 btdc, then one day the bike backfired and when it did it busted the clutch cover and the kick starter shaft. It does not use a keyway, so it can/could move which is what I think happened to mine, or maybe it was the Nitrous, either way i took it off and put a stocker back on. I think next year I'm going to work on the 250 ignition some more, it was considerably more noticeable power delivery than the PVL, as I've said before, too much. I'm going to try a flywheel weight to calm down the delivery a little bit, try and find a happy medium.

For me, I don't think I'll ever reinstall the PVL again, but who knows I said the same thing about the Lectron and I'm using it.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come