Author Topic: kdx radiator fan?  (Read 6459 times)

Offline wierdo

kdx radiator fan?
« on: December 13, 2010, 10:59:35 AM »
can anyone help me?,
 back in the eighties i had a kdx 200f1 road registered. I keep thinking that it  had a thermo fan on the right side radiator. But haven't been able to find any info about it, but i would swear that it did. From memory it was about 3-4" across.
Am i right or just going senile?

Offline greencannon

Re: kdx radiator fan?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »
F1 comes up as an 89. No fan there, it did have  a coolant resivoir though as most did. You sure it wasnt a KLX ? those had a small rad fan i believe on the right side.
a rad fan would be nice on a 2 stroke woods bike for added sense of security, but if your able to  overheat a liquid cooled KDX your really running it hard.

Offline wierdo

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »
Hey green cannon, thanks for the reply. i've never had a KLX, but i might have got mixed up, senility does that to you. Not only did i have the wrong bike i had the wrong decade. I am looking for a cooling fan for my kx500, i have about 3kms of woods (1st-2nd with a quick squirt in 3rd gear) to get through before getting onto some top gear dirt roads, so the motor is getting into the upper temps quickly. ideally a Kawasaki set up to transplant into the 500 would be great if not i will look into KTM and see what they have.

Offline alward25

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 02:05:25 PM »
I was looking at a KTM fan kit for my 500.
"Let there be light"

Offline wierdo

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:02:31 PM »
Hows it goin alward25, how did you go with a KTM kit? does the kit have a part number i can have a look at? is it a plug and play setup?

Offline alward25

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:32:07 PM »
This system is off a 2009 KTM 530.  I have not set this up yet.  I don't know if I would rather put the fan on a switch or a thermostat.  Maybe both.   I know some guys use computer fans but they are not designed to get wet for a long time.  If cooling was a problem I would go with a proven fan.  When I do it I will keep you informed.
Good luck
Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline wierdo

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 04:32:40 PM »
Alward, just had a look at the 2009 530 ktm, and thought to myself "change the orange for green, do a kx500af conversion, and that would solve my radiator fan problem".
Its actually easier to find ktms than it is to find a KX450 roller around my neck of the woods.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »
I've always liked the KTM style just not the cost of parts. It would be sweet to see a KX500 heart stuffed into a KTM body.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.