Author Topic: bottem end rebuild pre-lube?  (Read 3329 times)

Offline seff23

bottem end rebuild pre-lube?
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
well i finally put new seal and mains in my bike since i had apart anyways for a rod bearing. so my question is when i put in the new bearings i know there going to need some oil on them but how much? should i pour a cap full in each bearing oil drain or just a few drops? what about on the new rod bearing itself, a few drops or a cap full??

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: bottem end rebuild pre-lube?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:06:43 AM »
some people (me included) use engine build grease on the mains, ask your local bike shop what they use, if you use oil put a good dribble on all mentioned areas, too much over too little where lube is concerned everytime...hth
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 05:03:49 PM »
 X'2
 Like Kwak said, I use moly and twostroke oil mix.  Too much might produce a little too much smoke at fie up, so?
  Too little... well you know what too little will do...

The Idea is to provide enough lube until the oil starts to separate from your induction (Fuel) to fog and precipitate on your new bearings.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 05:53:05 AM »
X'2
 Like Kwak said, I use moly and twostroke oil mix.  Too much might produce a little too much smoke at fie up, so?
  Too little... well you know what too little will do...

The Idea is to provide enough lube until the oil starts to separate from your induction (Fuel) to fog and precipitate on your new bearings.
  Tuck\o/

Is your mix thick enough to "pack" the bearings?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:16:01 AM »
Use a good grease for the seals and i pour in my break in oil into the crankcase intills it fills the hole crankshaft area to the top and i let it sit for one hour then i suck most of it out leaving about 3 oz in bottum of case.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 06:26:12 AM »
Use a good grease for the seals and i pour in my break in oil into the crankcase intills it fills the hole crankshaft area to the top and i let it sit for one hour then i suck most of it out leaving about 3 oz in bottum of case.

Like moly grease? Your break in oil should be the same as what you normally run?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »
Your break in oil should be the same as what you normally run?
[/quote]

Are you sure about that. You can do that but if you what good ring seal and no piston wear then you what to run break in oil. I have alot of testing in this subject. Plus it even more important with a plated cylinder. Also most rings don't come lap for the bore there going into.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »
Your break in oil should be the same as what you normally run?

Are you sure about that. You can do that but if you what good ring seal and no piston wear then you what to run break in oil. I have alot of testing in this subject. Plus it even more important with a plated cylinder. Also most rings don't come lap for the bore there going into.
[/quote]

I was just asking brother. I wanted your opinion on what would be the best break in oil. Obviously the Amsoil Dominator synthetic would not be ideal IMO for assembly lube, but thats what I like for my premix oil.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
the amsoil dominator is made for short life race motors with no rust protection. For long life motor need to look some where else. When we ran amsoil we had crazy fast piston wear. A good semi-synthetic oil is good for long life motor. I buy it from a piston manfu. that makes break in oil for 2 strokes piston rings.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 02:46:46 PM »
the amsoil dominator is made for short life race motors with no rust protection. For long life motor need to look some where else. When we ran amsoil we had crazy fast piston wear. A good semi-synthetic oil is good for long life motor. I buy it from a piston manfu. that makes break in oil for 2 strokes piston rings.

OK cool, while I have your attention, what premix oil do you recomend? I know to stay away from castor based oils for KIPS valve protection...

What say you sir?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
It depends on your riding demand. A guy running his motor with alot of tire up a sand hill verus a guy cruising around his local riding spot will vary. The real way to do it is to pull your reed cage after riding and put a bore camera down the crankcase and look to see how much oil is down there or feel how much oil film is on the crank and rod. With most of the 250 and 500 i build for track use i'm at 20:1-24:1 with any castor oil out there or 32:1 with synethic.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
It depends on your riding demand. A guy running his motor with alot of tire up a sand hill verus a guy cruising around his local riding spot will vary. The real way to do it is to pull your reed cage after riding and put a bore camera down the crankcase and look to see how much oil is down there or feel how much oil film is on the crank and rod. With most of the 250 and 500 i build for track use i'm at 20:1-24:1 with any castor oil out there or 32:1 with synethic.

OK, thanks for your input sir!   :-D

Aren't you concerned with the gumming up of the KIPS valves with castor based oils? Just curious.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »
i just put a motor together for a customer and it had 20 hours on it since last rebuild and the powervalve add alittle soft carbon on it and looked good. Jetting is key to getting no gumming up.