Author Topic: clutch lever bearing  (Read 3354 times)

Fookeneh

clutch lever bearing
« on: April 06, 2004, 03:32:02 PM »
The shaft on the lever is worn as well as the bearing.The shaft is a no-brainer but replacing the bearing looks tricky without dropping the needles into the crankcase. Any suggestions?

mikesmith

clutch lever bearing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 08:01:56 PM »
They should stay in the cage,but thick grease works for holding.

kawdude

clutch lever bearing
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 05:31:50 AM »
Replacing the bearing(s) is tough...especially the lower bearing.  Keep the clutch rod that the lever operates in place and the should protect from needles falling in the crankcase and use a magnet to remove any that do fall out.  I did this replacement last year and it's doable but not fun,

Fookeneh

clutch lever bearing
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 07:41:56 AM »
I didn't even see a lower bearing.Do you modify a slot screw driver to pull the bearings out the top of the hole?

kawdude

clutch lever bearing
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 02:03:08 PM »
You can try that first and see if they come out.  Mine were too tight.  I had to drill a hole at the bottom of that tube big enough to get a small but long punch in there and beat the bottom bearing out the top of the casing.  Putting them in isn't bad though.  I filled the hole with JBWeld.

Fookeneh

clutch lever bearing
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 05:57:24 PM »
I don't have alot of experience with J-B but it sound s  as though it worked for you. Depending on how thick that casting is a guy might be able to thread a plug in there with lok -tite . I like your idea, it sounds simple. 8)

kawdude

clutch lever bearing
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 05:38:32 AM »
I thought about the plug also but thought that the bottom of the shaft may contact it.  I don't remember how thick the casting is but it not very thick 3-4mm at the most.

My fix is rough but simple.  Someone may make a puller but I could not find one that was small enough or long enough.  Seems like I found one that was small enough but was no where near long enough to reach the bottom bearing.

kawdude

clutch lever bearing
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 05:40:24 AM »
Could try freezing the engine.  That may contract the bearings enough to pull out.

Fookeneh

clutch lever bearing
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 07:55:48 PM »
Thanks for the info. I am going to extend the lever 8mm to ease clutch action and at the same time I will try brazing and filing the worn part of the shaft. I will pull the motor when the season is done and go through it all properly. Hopefull I can get it tight enough to keep the seal doing it' s  job.

kawdude

clutch lever bearing
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 07:35:15 AM »
I think 8mm is too much.  I think I've heard 4-5mm max.  Do a search on this site.  There was a discussion about it.