Author Topic: kx 500 fat paddle?????  (Read 5167 times)

Offline bmulanax30

• kx zilla 500 rider
kx 500 fat paddle?????
« on: September 24, 2010, 08:49:52 AM »
has anyone here did this yet or something like it ???? i want to do it to mine .... need specs and rim mod and hub mod
kx 500 the beast

Offline DoldGuy

Re: kx 500 fat paddle?????
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline bmulanax30

• kx zilla 500 rider
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »
thanks  dident really say what kinda rim and hubs for the sprocket and brakes  set up  but it was more help towards looking into doing it
kx 500 the beast

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 09:53:26 AM »
My K5 only see's the sand either in the desert or the coast.
I run a paddle and a ribbed front tire.
I have seen the mod in the pics but I have never seen the need to pursue it.
I would really wonder what it would do to the handling.
Has anyone actually rode one of those?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 10:59:02 AM »
Do a search, he has a YouTube video.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline bmulanax30

• kx zilla 500 rider
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »
go to youtube look up fat paddle it handles awesome really fast  handleing  there flying on the dunes hills corners theres 3 videos  and he said it floats on top of the sand and not half way down like a pizza slicer i have been the the dunes 2 times with a paddle and with out on my 500 believe it or not i did way better with out the paddle tire  but think about it quads float on the top of the sand thats why they  go so fast  bikes have such  skinny tires they just sink and  not to good to do in the sand  but the proof is watch the videos on youtube and judge for your self  watch it all it has different places they have tested it  got me real interested  and it looks mean too think the paddle is custom viper from skat track  like 100 bucks plus  im doing research about it right now  need info about the hubs and sprocket set up and breaks and im looking into it forsure
kx 500 the beast

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 02:58:42 PM »
Hmmm.
I watched the videos and see nothing to change my mind.
Then again, I have been riding in the sand for almost 40 years.  :wink:
As far as your bike sinking with a standard paddle I have to wonder about your experience riding in the sand.
It sounds like your bike was not set up correctly or, you weren't going quite fast enough.
I have rode hundreds if not thousands of times in the sand and I have no problem with my bike sinking.
Then again, I might be a purist  :-o
Don't get me wrong, it might be fun to ride something like that just for kicks but it would take a lot to convert me to a true believer  :-D

http://oem-cycle.com/AROUNDTHEWORLDONAKX500.aspx
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:02:45 PM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline SweetTea

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 04:33:07 PM »
I'd have to agree, once you get going a standard paddle floats dang good.  It would be interesting to ride and compare though.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 05:48:43 PM »
I wonder if you could stop for a break and not put your foot down?  :-D

Offline bmulanax30

• kx zilla 500 rider
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 07:51:18 AM »
yeah i have rode all my life on bikes  so im not new to it and we rode all day both times we went to the dunes just dident like the paddle tire   i liked my dirt tire better  call me crazy but it hooked better may have been the sand too and a fatter tire would be on top  like in the videos and i wasent going slow lol faster the better  but everyone has different ways and likes  i used to have a bw 200 when i was a kid it went on sand like  no ones business so thats why i was thinking  of trying the fat paddle set up and if you could just leave the bike setting there after stopping would be killer and you wouldent have to bury your tire  to hang out off the bike ... nice  bike mine looks close to yours  black and same tank but mines green
Hmmm.
I watched the videos and see nothing to change my mind.
Then again, I have been riding in the sand for almost 40 years.  :wink:
As far as your bike sinking with a standard paddle I have to wonder about your experience riding in the sand.
It sounds like your bike was not set up correctly or, you weren't going quite fast enough.
I have rode hundreds if not thousands of times in the sand and I have no problem with my bike sinking.
Then again, I might be a purist  :-o
Don't get me wrong, it might be fun to ride something like that just for kicks but it would take a lot to convert me to a true believer  :-D

http://oem-cycle.com/AROUNDTHEWORLDONAKX500.aspx
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:59:00 AM by bmulanax30 »
kx 500 the beast

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:09:59 AM »
with out making the front tire wider i don't see a big benefit. IMO the best set up would be motard wheels front and rear with the rear shaved and cupped.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 09:13:43 AM »
I would have to agree. I'm an avid two wheel rider in the sand and have been for years. My bike does not sink in the sand and I would have to say ridding in the sand with a knob sucks royal @#%*. I have ridden my 500 and 450 back to back in the sand more then a couple times to get a back to back knob vs paddle comparison. You can't cary the front tire off big jumps so you wind up doing 100' nose dives off stuff and I promise you don't have a snow balls chance in hell keeping up when we get out and rail the dunes in fifth.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 11:08:51 AM »
if you want your bike to "float" on sand just ask BDI about his old turbo paddle. you won't want to float after that. it's all about front tire stability and rear tire hook up! riding the top layer does not mean your running the best set-up it just means your hauling butt. if you can't get up on plane in the sand then you are running the wrong tire type or your riding too slow. gearing has to be right too. i think on my next dune trip, i will be trying a new idea i have of running a cut knobby on the front, cut down to three rows of knobs. one in the center and one on each outer edge. should be enough grip to not push and should help with steering control. in my experience a regular knobby on the front tends to try to wash out on turns in the sand and feels like it makes the bike wobbly.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:13:02 AM by maddoggy »

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 11:51:16 AM »
The king turbo paddle and the king three rib front tire is my favorite set up to date, they work and last very well. My bad experience was the Skat-Trak Intimidator, this tire never stopped wiggling at speed and became very unstable at speeds approaching 100 pmh. I even had the bike lean over to the right about 45 degrees to the ground in a fifth gear wheelie.How I rode out of that one is beyond me, it was very frightening and I don't scare to easy on a bike. the single rib in the middle makes the tire ride up and out of the sand at high speed and becomes very unstable. The tire was a one ride wonder for me.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:55:29 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline bmulanax30

• kx zilla 500 rider
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
the paddle  i had was 8    but it dident seem to do well may have been the paddle  and the sand is different everywhere too the river here is really loose but i still hook good with knobby  more like a white sand where we ride around the river  little sahara  was really loose and you sank down just putting your foot down in it it was yellow looking  ....... looks like a sick paddle tire  i agree about the front being smooth or ribbed it is washy riding in sand  that idea about the cut down knobby sounds cool let us know what it does  anyone on ideas for a front  that has good control  as far as turning  and whats with the straps on the dune king fat paddle set up  in the videos it looks like all  the bikes they are riding are really stable and good in the turns ?????????
kx 500 the beast