Author Topic: 87 kx500 output shaft nut  (Read 2461 times)

Offline halerazor

87 kx500 output shaft nut
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:07:58 AM »
My friend has a 87 kx500 and the threads on the output shaft nut are destroyed. He has checked part numbers and called the dealer and they all call for the same part # but the threads on the shaft are a finer thread than the nut the dealer gave him. Anyone know what the correct part number is or if he could just get a newer shaft with the circlip

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: 87 kx500 output shaft nut
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:19:35 AM »
According to my book, 87 KX500 uses year specific shafts for 87 only.
I don't know what the physical differences are as part numbers never tell the whole story.
The gears are identical from 86-87 KX500, although many of the gears fit many more years as well.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:13:32 AM »
as sandblaster said the part numbers differ, but the transmission shafts for 83 thru 87 are interchangeable.comparing the two before buying is often the only way to go when fixing an old beast up.hth.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:39:36 AM »
My 86 had marginal threads and the nut was stripped and I couldn't locate a new nut. So I took a cut off wheel on a die grinder with the engine assembled and used the sprocket for a guide I made a snap ring grove like the later ones. It has worked great no issues.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 04:02:53 AM »
Excellent.
Let us know what the long term results are.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:06:38 PM »
i was gonna stump up for a new output shaft due to mullered threads, dont think i'll bother now.nice one toby. :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline awak100

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 11:32:04 AM »
You can put a new style output shaft in the old style bike  (nut). 

Offline awak100

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »
Good idea toby.  I have a couple of those K5 bikes with nuts on the output shaft.  Ive been running those bikes for years without nothing on them.  1st time I did it, I wound that bike out full thottle with a brand new M5B 140/80/18 and let go of the clutch.  Nothing happened except the front tire flew up.  Did it about 10 times watching the sprocket, nothing happened except the front end flew up.  So Ive beem running the hell out of them.  I guess I might use your cutter idea.  1 of the few ideas that will probably work.  Good idea Well I probably wont.  K5's are tough.  You dont need all those bolts and nuts. Anyway there just my trail bikes.  Yea I have 9 of them.  86 87 88 89 92hillclimber 94practice hillclimber 99 02 04