Author Topic: Gear holding tool  (Read 2897 times)

Offline BDI

Gear holding tool
« on: September 17, 2010, 04:28:07 AM »
Took a gear from the end of a crank and cut it in half. Then I welded it to an old set of vice grips that had been modded in the past for another use. Works great so I thought I would pass the idea along.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:33:52 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline bigbellybob

Re: Gear holding tool
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:26:30 AM »
sweet. you should start a custom tool thread let everyone show off their custom tools. im not so talented so i only got some cut and bent wrenches.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »
this thing works great Bob. Ive even tried it with gears that have a diff pich and it still works just fine.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:32:57 AM by BDI »

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:40:39 AM »

I ground the tips of the Vise-Grip tongs into a gear tooth shape. Works great, no welding or gear needed.

Larry

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
The thing I like about using a gear is you can weld it off center. Most stuff I have come across you can't get a strait shot on the gear do to the case being in the way. The yamaha engine I show in the picture you couldn't get the tool on if it had no offset. Grinding the vice grips like you suggest sounds like a great idea also, if you find the time you should post a picture. It's great to give people other ideas on how to do stuff. It may inspire some one to do something even better then what we have done or it could just help someone to get the job done inside of there ability range. Not every one can weld  :| sometimes I wonder if I can  :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:09:02 AM by BDI »

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 02:33:12 AM »
sweet. you should start a custom tool thread let everyone show off their custom tools. im not so talented so i only got some cut and bent wrenches.
That would be cool Bob but there does not seem to be much interest in the subject.  :mrgreen: I think a thread on how to beat stuff apart with a hammer would get a better response. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:36:09 AM by BDI »

Offline don46

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 03:39:27 AM »
That would be cool Bob but there does not seem to be much interest in the subject.  :mrgreen: I think a thread on how to beat stuff apart with a hammer would get a better response. :mrgreen:

Not true Brian, I like to look at your custom tools, they are inspirational I would say keep up the good work.  I think a custom tool sticky would be awesome then they would always be there. I have some I've made more I've bought and modified. I always tell my Kid, when I die you won't get any money but he'll have lots of cool tools.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 04:48:18 AM »
my grandpa worked at TIMET for 40 years. he was a one man crew in charge of keeping the place running. over the years he had made a lot of custom tools specifically for working on different parts of the operation. when he was getting close to retirement he told them to bring in someone so he could train them. they didn't. only one week after his retirement they called him asking if he would come back and train someone as no one knew how to do what he had been doing. he said ok but when he go back and went in to his old shop all the custom tools were gone. the new guy thought they were just scrap metal and tossed it all out. gramps told them it took 40 years to perfect all them tools and that he was not going to make all of them again. he walk out. 2 weeks later TIMET caught on fire.   

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 05:15:11 AM »

i don't know if you meant it to be funny brian, but that made me laugh. sometimes i get a cool suprise when i look at these threads. i like your tool... er....... i mean your idea. cool stuff that serves a real purpose. sure beats having your buddy on the end of a bar in the gear scratching the heck out of the cases.

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:31:41 AM »
I like this thread as well it good to see how people overcome problems by making tools for themselves, I am bad for just using a loose gear and jamming it between two gears to lock up the gearbox to loosen or tighten bolts.