Author Topic: Needle  (Read 3593 times)

Motorrad

Needle
« on: September 18, 2010, 07:28:52 PM »
  Lots of Jetting and Needle threads I know.. But just noticed somthing... Destry was running a N89D needle on his #1 plate bike...

Very interesting as I always thought they ran the N82R needle

Anyone have any experiance with this range of needle??

Offline greencannon

Re: Needle
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:43:45 AM »
I've never found a need to mess with the needle , but I'm also not running race gas or have modified head or cylinder. I'm assuming Destry did. I do find that clutch actuator arm interesting.....it looks like it might be adjustable. I could use one of those, no matter what I do I find my clutch cable has to be adjusted  all the way out at both adjustment points. even if the cable is brand new and not stretched.
That foot peg mount looks fabricated also, cool

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:11:32 AM »
That specific application ( desert racing), and the fact that the rider was the ultimate AMA National pro level pilot, is the reason needle selection is far more critical. That engine was spending 95% of it's life at 3/4+ throttle, so the factory kawi race team probably found a more ideal needle taper. While optimum power is a consideration, so is fuel economy. I'm certainly NOT going to run out and swap to a  N89D just because the race teams use it. I am NOT that good of a "jetter" to notice a difference. I'm sure Team Green invests substantial engine dyno R&D to come up with the best overall jetting, then just does some ambient temp jet changes at the track.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:12:27 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:16:02 AM »
You know whats really interesting is the billet arm on the clutch. Does any one know if that is something that can be bought.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:19:52 AM »
The billet clutch arm extension is a Team Green piece that's not for sale. It's not adjustable either. I was going to try and design one of these until I put on a new clutch cable with the clutch cable mod (which Destry's bike has too), and an ASV pro clutch lever. Feels exactly like my kx250 now.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:12:47 PM »
destry is supposed to let me know if that clutch arm is a piece that can be purchased. he said he thinks that it was an item from the MC department of the team but he's not sure. i'll let you know when he tells me.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
Tom are you sure it's not adjustable ? The pic is a little fuzzy, but it looks like a pinch type of setup.
 Looks like a slot in the billet and a hole drilled for a bolt to tighten and pinch around the shaft.  Other wise what would be the purpose ? just to look trick or save a few ounces in weight.

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
Greencannon,
The purpose of the billet extended clutch arm was to lengthen the arm by 10mm so that there is more leverage when pulling the clutch in. It's a pinch bolt type set up but for some reason Team Green found that 10mm was optimal. I'm almost positive that it's not adjustable, it's a solid billet piece with a slit in it. I inquired about getting one of these from Team Green (there only a few miles from my house) when I bought one of their 2004 KX500s. I had no luck, but I think Destry's bike was the only one set up with this that I saw. Mine was was missing the infamous removable clutch cover and this billet clutch arm. The bike I have is the same set up as Destry's shown in the picture with the engine done by Varner, suspension by ACME.

With respect to the needle, Polar-Bus is right on target, optimum power wasn't the top priority for the Team Green KX500s. They had to be extremely reliable to win so many titles. These bikes were mildly ported, always had fresh reeds (I was told they ran stock reeds and they replaced them often), new plugs, fresh top ends, etc. Not much more needs to be done if you can hold a KX500 wide open for a prolonged period of time.

Offline SweetTea

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »
On a side note, what does he use to clean that bike up to looking brand new, or is it brand new, lol! 

Sorry, I just had to post to get my 10th post, I was hoping I could edit my profile after 10 post to change the time, its annoying me, hehe.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 04:23:16 AM »
Tom , maybe we misunderstand each other, when i say adjustable I mean able to position the arm on the rod so it pulls the slack out of the clutch cable, by loosening the pinch and reposition.
 I do see what you mean about the longer arm having more leverage.  either way very cool.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 08:01:19 AM »
Tom , maybe we misunderstand each other, when i say adjustable I mean able to position the arm on the rod so it pulls the slack out of the clutch cable, by loosening the pinch and reposition.
 I do see what you mean about the longer arm having more leverage.  either way very cool.

I remember back in the early 80's some aftermarket company made a "bolt on" clutch lever extension for the YZ's. Those early 80's big bore YZ's were notorious for a clutch that pulled harder than a Harley. It did work, but I seem to remember accelerated clutch cable wear near the end of the cable at the end ball, so you had to keep an eye on the cable...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:05:23 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart