Author Topic: Procircuit pipes and K5's  (Read 5321 times)

Offline dirk_diggler

Procircuit pipes and K5's
« on: September 18, 2010, 04:31:08 AM »
Hi guys
I have been trying to solve a issue with fluffy low end power on the K5

Having all the carb serviced, jetting etc

Then i read on a forum, people say that pro circuit pipes are known for dumbing down the power, to smooth them out. :?

Maybe i should look for standard pipe, to bring back the beast and scare me :-D

Anyone else heard this about PC pipes on K5's, sorry if its been asked before but i did try a search.

Thanks

Paul (UK)
United Kingdom

Offline 3Razors

Re: Procircuit pipes and K5's
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:22:43 AM »
If you want lowend, get a fmf gnarly.  I don't like them and I'm looking for something exact opposite.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »
Not sure of the year of your bike but have you considered a stock pipe ? It is a bit heavier but the trade off in tractor like low end power is nice. Ive tried them all and like the stock pipe the best for power delivery, I like the gnarly woods pipe for the lighter weight. 
the Pro C is a quality pipe also but too snappy for my riding style.

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »
Not sure of the year of your bike but have you considered a stock pipe ? It is a bit heavier but the trade off in tractor like low end power is nice. Ive tried them all and like the stock pipe the best for power delivery, I like the gnarly woods pipe for the lighter weight. 
the Pro C is a quality pipe also but too snappy for my riding style.

Hehe... glad you like my photo for your icon greencannon!  I'm honored!
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline jbehunin

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 02:40:51 AM »
I have tried them all from the Pro Circuit to the FMF.
I prefer the stock pipe over them all, the PC is second and the FMF is third.
I like the way the low end comes to life with the stock pipe.

Offline oic0

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:03:46 AM »
Which pro circuit pipe? The PCII is the "dumb it down" pipe that focuses on mid range with a strong low end and strongish top. The regular one focuses on mid to top and makes the bike feel like its on crack. I like the latter a lot.
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline jbehunin

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:11 AM »
I have the PC original works pipe. it works well in the mid range area. but when you are as big as I am, you need a lot more bottom..... :-D

Offline oic0

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:55:13 AM »
You sure the compression is good and the jetting good? I'm a fairly big boy at ~245lbs. I still can't imagine what it is you guys do with more bottom end lol. Make extra roost at 2000rpms? lol.
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »
I've done a lot of research on pipes to decifer which does what.Thus,

FMF Gnarly, part no 020055, is a good performer for low end through midrange pipe, but signs off early.ran an 88-04 pipe of this type on my 86 B2.

FMF Gnarly, (desert) part no 020038, is the mid top pipe of this brand, never ran one but many members have.

Pro Circuit Works/Platinum, (part nos change on PC pipes to show year so an 86 plat pipe is pk86500p.87 would be pk87500p, etc etc.)These pipes share the same cone shape, the Works being unplated, the Platinum is plated.These are pro Circuits mid through top end pipes.

Pro Circuit Platinum 2, part no pk86500p2, or pk87500p2 etc etc, is Pro Circuits low to mid pipe.

Hope this clears up which pipe does what, so now all you need to decide is how many rpm's you want to be pulling when you smoke them diesels.........K. :evil:
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline jbehunin

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 01:25:35 PM »
You sure the compression is good and the jetting good? I'm a fairly big boy at ~245lbs. I still can't imagine what it is you guys do with more bottom end lol. Make extra roost at 2000rpms? lol.

naw. 245 is small. I am 6'6" and weigh 320!!!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 05:29:04 PM »
I've been using a Pro Circuit Platinum since 2000 on my 2000 K5 and I can say that it performs better on the midrange and upper end then low end power, but in it's defense that's what this pipe is all about.
That being said my low end isn't half bad either.
Then again I'm only 220lb.
Since this bike only see's sand duty, it's perfect for me.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline demographic

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »
If I remember right, Stewart said that in dyno tests the PC platinum 2 produced the most outright horsepower of the normal pipes (not counting the drag pipes here).

Offline SweetTea

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
Dang I was getting ready to drop coins on an FMF gnarly desert.  I saw in Stewarts one post that he said the PC2 out performed the FATTY by 3 hp at 7000 RPM, is the desert the same thing as the FATTY, just thicker metal?  I have been biting my nails off for days trying to decide between Pro Circuit and FMF, lol.  Which is it?  I have read every single thread on here about the two and I'm still leaning towards FMF, decisions, decisions. :P

The agony, sweet, sweet agony!! LOL
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:29:43 PM by SweetTea »

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
I have a Desert Gnarly on my 2002.  Its a bike I got new and has super low hours.  So being a fresh motor its hard to say if its more pipe or what.   My 99 Team Green bike has a Works PC pipe.    I have a PC2 that came off this parts bike.   Want to put it on the 99 here soon.  Sending it to get all the dents blown out of it.    Comparing the 02 to the 99, the gnarly feels a lot better down low and off idle than the Works.