Author Topic: Best Service Manual  (Read 5285 times)

texsurfer

Best Service Manual
« on: April 08, 2004, 03:57:13 AM »
Hi, just picked up a 1998 KX500 and the kickstarter is slipping. The symptom is that when you kick sometimes it will catch and other times it's like there's nothing there. I pulled the clutch cover and discovered a ton of sludge in the case. I pulled the clutch pack and the outer ring of the pack is rubbing on the pressure plate and wearing it like a rough file. I want to pull the basket off to see if the kickstarter cam/gear is bad. Anyone have any experience with these going out? No teeth are missing and I'm guessing that the metallic sludge is teh from teh clutch. I need to get a service manual. Anyone have an electronic version they would share or what is the best one to buy?

Thanks,

Michael
South Texas

mxracer50

Best Service Manual
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 04:57:44 AM »
I jsut finished up fixing this problem on my 93 model last night, when you take the kick start apart, pay attention to how the gear is lined up with the kick start retrun spring hole.  This is what governs how tight the spring is wound up when you assemble it.  I am talking about the small gear that slides on the shaft and engages the larger gear.  If you have problems taking the clutch hub off it may be locktighted on, mine was, heat up the nut just a bit and it will come right off.  You might want to put a new water pump seal in while you have all this apart, its a cheap item and will ruin a good day of riding when they start leaking.

Sharc

Best Service Manual
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 05:20:57 AM »
The factory manuals suck....Very little "how to's" at all. Just poor quality photos and minimal descriptions. Havent seen Clymer's version. Nothing electronic that I know of except the exploded views at the Kawi website...
Take a lot of notes and pictures when you disassemble...

Sharc

texsurfer

Best Service Manual
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 06:40:36 AM »
Thanks for the info. I'll try to get the clutch off tonight and see what's behind the kickstart assembly. The weird thing is that it works fine and then something either misaligns or aligns and it's not engaged at all. Went to the bookstore and library at lunch and neither had a Clymer. Any other replies appreciated from the other experts... :)

kawdude

Best Service Manual
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 03:56:49 PM »
I have the same problem when the weather is cold.  It's like the oil thickens on that shaft and won't let the gear slide on the shaft.  Could be that my shaft is shot.  Hey when you pull off the basket can you tell me if there is washer on the kickstarter idler gear when you take it apart.

NastyNick

Best Service Manual
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 03:04:40 AM »
Check your local kawi shop.  They might have a Clymers (mine did).  If not, here ya go: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2473000135&category=10066

**edit**
whoops, that link is up to a 1993 KX5.  Might still work fine for the '98.  Sorry

kawdude

Best Service Manual
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 08:08:46 AM »
That manual should be fine.

texsurfer

Best Service Manual
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 02:49:38 PM »
Quote from: kawdude
I have the same problem when the weather is cold.  It's like the oil thickens on that shaft and won't let the gear slide on the shaft.  Could be that my shaft is shot.  Hey when you pull off the basket can you tell me if there is washer on the kickstarter idler gear when you take it apart.

no washer :)

kawdude

Best Service Manual
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 03:54:25 PM »
Thanks!

Offline demographic

Best Service Manual
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 06:21:46 AM »
I have the Clymer manual and also Eric Gorrs Offroad performance handbook and between them they have some very usefull info :D

Well pleased with both buys

texsurfer

Best Service Manual
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 03:50:07 AM »
got the clutch basket off and the kickstarter gear out. the ratchet gear is worn out that mates to the sprocket. need a clutch and new basket too since it is chewed up. anyone have a clutch/basket combo for sale? did the basket self destruct from clutch abuse or ?? i can post pics if needed.

kawdude

Best Service Manual
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 04:46:49 AM »
I'd like to see the pics and I would recommend using a Hinson basket.  Good quality stuff.  When you mention the ratchet gear is worn out.  How do you know?  What do see...are the teeth gone?

mikesmith

Best Service Manual
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 06:43:31 AM »
It may be from someone just pulling the lever out and mashing down,I like to slowly push down to feel it engage before I give it a hard kick.If the clutch basket has chatter marks down the fingers and there not deep you can file them out,but if there deep get a new basket,If were talking about the same thing its from useing the clutch a lot.But  your bikes not that old,and Rick puts on more miles than any of us and has said before that his clutch baskets never give him a problem and mine hasnt eaither so a picture may help.

Offline demographic

Best Service Manual
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 07:23:53 AM »
I have heard that Hinson now produces clutch baskets with those stainless steel inserts like the bloke calling himself Stormin Norman fits to knackered clutch baskets.

Aparently they wear far less (take forever to develop chatter marks) and when they are worn you can just replace the inserts.

Dunno if they make em for KX 5s though :?:

Might be worth a look though

texsurfer

Best Service Manual
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 02:04:19 AM »
service manual isn't in but I've got parts and trying to get it back together. Can anybody give me any pointers on putting the side cover on? I have no idea how the push rod actuator thingy that comes out the front is supposed to work internally so i can put the case on...