Author Topic: when 2 strokes started taking over, how times have changed  (Read 2209 times)

Offline cbmoor

when 2 strokes started taking over, how times have changed
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:10:05 PM »
The last lap is a amazing, some of the older members on here must have raced bikes like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhuZk5q0qCs

Offline IceRacer

• If You Dont Crash Your Not Trying Hard Enough
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/10milkshake01?feature=mhw4
Re: when 2 strokes started taking over, how times have changed
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 12:48:21 AM »
it amazing how bikes have changed over time. its like a new vehicle now a days compare to back then .
Ride Motorcycles and Go Hunting!

Offline dirtjunkie85

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »
That is totally sick gives me appreciation for my elders haha

Offline greencannon

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Those guys were physicaly tough back then. They didn't have all the technology, bells and whistles back then. Those dirtbikes were like the equivalent of an old Triumph streetbike with off road tieres mounted on them.
no lightweight plastic and carbon gizmos and such. Just lots of metal, poor ergonomics and backbreaker suspension....no 14 inches of travel there...
Then there's saftey gear, or lack thereof. those guy's probably ate roost and rocks for breakfast and loved it.
I can just imagine what a racer from that era could have been like on a modern machine from today.

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:52 PM »
Yes it is funny the lack of riders gear it just looks like you old working clothes and no full face helmets just pudding bowls on your head. The club I am in has been going for 45 years and when you talk to them about what it was like they start their story always with a smile. One guy I know told me he would race what ever bike he could get his hands on it would be an old road bike that was not getting used anymore take off the bits he did not need like lights and stuff get an old front tyre of a tractor!! Cut groves in it to make a tread  and race it till it was broke. And then find something else. Yes the older generation on dirt bikes were great.