Author Topic: Sleeve Transfer port matching  (Read 8014 times)

Offline 3Razors

Re: Sleeve Transfer port matching
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 09:23:34 AM »
That is pretty much how this cylinder performed, more low/mid especially with a V2 reed.  I'm trying to gain more on the top, since all I ride is dunes.  After studying it more it appears this sleeve was done on purpose because if one was to hog out the intake this much on a stock cylinder there would be hardly any material left for strength, hence the sleeve I'm guessing.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 11:19:02 AM »
razor
you have to gear it to use the torque this motor has not a reving motor.

Offline 3Razors

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
I know this motor will never be a high revver but I'm looking to optimize the porting, and get what I can out of it without being a revbomb.  Surely there is some room for improvment from the stock transfer and exhaust ports? I might be just hitting a wall though since I'm using the fmf fatty, I've heard from some respected tuners that most 500's will not break the 70hp mark with the basic fmf and procircuit stuff that is out there.

I've got the gearing spot on for what it can pull now. Its 15/41, but this is a 3 wheeler with 22 inch paddles.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:19:54 PM by 3Razors »

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 03:18:54 PM »
well the engine tuners are right. You can get 74-78hp with a mx style pipe but you have to work on your set-up. cool radiator temps, hot pipe temps, piston mods, major mods to port layout, better head design, powervalve tuning.