Author Topic: Most potent year?  (Read 3411 times)

Offline greenstreak

Most potent year?
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »
I have 2 KX500's.  A few months ago I bought a 2003, and last weekend I got a 1987 model.  I have not been able to ride the '87 in the dirt yet and just wondered what years had the most power?  I know which of the Honda CR500's were hot and which were not. Just curious if anyone had any info, or opinions  about this? 

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Most potent year?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:52:20 PM »
That is a great question.
I can't wait to see the answers from other members.
I do not have any HP figures but i have owned and rode nearly every year of KX500.
So, what I am saying is these are my impressions and based on basically stock bikes.
When you hit the pipe I feel that the 89-04 are all the same and seem to be faster than the 85-88.
The 85 felt the least powerful.
If you own a 85 don't squeal, it's only my impression.
86-88 all felt the same and fall in the middle.
There again it is only my impression.
On the 89-04 what seems to be the biggest factor is the state of the engine.
How good is the top end, seals, jetting, ect.
So, who really knows the real facts, I'm all ears  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:38:14 PM »
87   due to the porting and ignition system (light)... it always felt the fastest to me (butt dyno)..

now. does it make more power?  better power?  who knows...    the 88-04 has a smoother powerband, so it could be decieving..

I still vote 87..   stock vs stock

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »
my 86 eats my friends cr5(apparently tuned, by a muppet methinks but hes loaded and wont be told) even with knackered crankbearings and seals before i pulled it down.If you look at the port timing (theres a thread on here) the 86 has the longest ex port duration but the shortest transfer duration and highest comp ratio, and a 40mm carb over the 87's 38mm.I will be sorting the porting to give it more transfer duration and have a few other tricks up my sleeve and think it will kick ass when done so I vote B2.But I am ever so slightly biased. :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:05:21 AM »
my 86 eats my friends cr5(apparently tuned, by a muppet methinks but hes loaded and wont be told) even with knackered crankbearings and seals before i pulled it down.If you look at the port timing (theres a thread on here) the 86 has the longest ex port duration but the shortest transfer duration and highest comp ratio, and a 40mm carb over the 87's 38mm.I will be sorting the porting to give it more transfer duration and have a few other tricks up my sleeve and think it will kick ass when done so I vote B2.But I am ever so slightly biased. :-D

Engine state and mods being equal a CR500 will not touch a K5 for brute power.
I have owned and raced about every year of K5 and CR500.
For you CR500 owners out there, I'm not saying it isn't a good bike because I always liked mine, but I am saying that in a straight line, up hill, down hill, or just flat out, the K5 kicks the CR500 into the weeds  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jbehunin

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:45:51 AM »
I have ridden and owned many CR 500's, and the fastest and most powerful CR500 I have ever ridden was my old 86.
I have owned an 84, 86(2), 89, 90, 92, 94, 99 CR500
I am a new owner of the KX500, and I love that machine, but have ridden many KX5's in my life.
The 1985 model my buddy has is by far faster and more powerful than my 93. In my opinion.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:04:28 PM »
If the 85 feels faster to you it might be time for a bit of engine work.
The state of the engine as well as proper jetting make a huge difference.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 04:55:54 PM »
inless you lined up all these bikes up at the same time with a timing system its only a opionon. yes the 85-86 cr 500 do run good.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »
Actually, my company ran a shoot out a few years back where we did just that.
With multiple riders switching bikes with fresh engines, and similar levels of mods (kx500's, CR500's, KTM550's, and a few others) the answers were very clear.
However, I realize that no matter what evidence is given some will have their opinions and that is what this and other forums are all about.  :wink: