Author Topic: JD Jet Kit, anyone?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline SweetTea

JD Jet Kit, anyone?
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
Howdy all, new here, see my intro. thread.  Just got a 2000 KX500, haven't ridden it yet, but I plan on dialing the jetting in once I get to riding.  I know the JD kits are a bit pricey, but I've always had good luck with them on my Thumpers, are they any good for the big K5?  Or would I be better off just buying seperate Keihin jets/needles.  I guess the biggest difference with JD Kits are the needles, little bit different taper from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: JD Jet Kit, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:28:20 AM »
Howdy all, new here, see my intro. thread.  Just got a 2000 KX500, haven't ridden it yet, but I plan on dialing the jetting in once I get to riding.  I know the JD kits are a bit pricey, but I've always had good luck with them on my Thumpers, are they any good for the big K5?  Or would I be better off just buying seperate Keihin jets/needles.  I guess the biggest difference with JD Kits are the needles, little bit different taper from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

"jet kits" for any normally driven motorcycle are a complete waste of money IMO. A jet kit is only as good as the dyno, and the exact ambient air temparature and humidity at which the peticular engine was run. I access each individual application based upon a COMPRAMISE of all driving conditions to make a decision if a jet change is really needed. Most Kawasaki KX's come jetted conservatively rich and can be leaned out by the average rider in average conditions. I am NO jet guru, but I do clearly understand the basics of jet changes.  Do some searching under "jetting" and you will find a TON of reading, and some "average" better jetting suggestions using good ol' fashioned cheap OEM jets.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart