Author Topic: kx500 leaking fuel out of bowl overflow whilst running and leaning over a bit.?.  (Read 3313 times)

Offline madmick

my brand new 2010kx500afx leaks fuel out of the carby bowl overflow hose while it is running and leaning over say 20 degrees at most,it does not miss a beat and is very annoying as i have looked at a few areas to fix it but cant,my float height is spot on 16mm,all the jets are tight and clear(stock jetting)the seat is sealing where the fuel comes in and shuts off at exactly 16mm,i was thinking of adjusting the float level to 18mm as this would fill the bowl fuel level up 2mm lower than it is,and further away from the top of the overflow tube,but have read somewhere that doing that could make it run lean as it would not get as much fuel in to the cylinder as compared with 16mm level and dont want to damage anything,has anyone experienced the same problem and what did they do to fix it..?..the valve on the tank fuel cap is working and not blocked..no airleaks that i can see..running out of areas to look..?..also the choke when put on whilst hot does not make the bike stall run crook or anything and im thinking that both of these problems could be caused by the same thing whatever that is..

Offline DoldGuy

MadMick,
Sounds like you already know the answer. It appears you need to check your "Fuel Level" &  abandon the "Float Level" test.
Hope this helps,
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline madmick

doldguy..how can i check the level when the bowl is on the carby,do i have to get a second drain plug put a barb fitting on run a piece of hose up the side of the carby and measure from the bottom of the bowl..?..if i do that(adjust the float height) so the fuel level is lower would that not run it leaner and risk doing some damage..?..or would it be ok to go ahead..and start to muck around with the fuel heights..bit confused..?.

Offline DoldGuy

MadMick,
You obviosly know the best way to check fuel level which IMO is much better than float level. If you lean over the amount stated & fuel runs out the levels are too high. Yes you can "Lean" the bike out by having too low of a level but should be a good amount different than your current settings it sounds like. The Fuel Level test will confirm this, and the drain bolts are relatively inexpensive & will work work with most of the keihen carbs you will encounter.
Again hope this helps on that NEW RIDE :-D
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline madmick

i reckon im gunna have to grab a spare carby bowl drain plug and make one up,as running out of options where to look,and too high a level seems to be the only reason why it is overflowing,but my other concern is why when the choke is on when hot the motor will not stall,has anyone out there with a 5hunghy had the same choke problem and what thay have done to overcome it..?.any sugestions would be much appreciated..?.tanks.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
 Hey Mick,
 D'Old Guy Is a Gold guy In my Humble Opinion, Honest, Trustworthy, Experienced, Etc....
 I think I'll Write Him In on the Next Election!
     No Mo Bama !- D'OldGuy ...A Man you can Trust...     :lol:
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline greencannon

Is it possible the Carb and motor sit a little off angle in the aluminum frame, throwing off the measurement and level ? I've never had luck with measuring float level anyways. I have my own method that works great for me. Maybe the Boyesen oversized Fuel bowl would be a good add on in your case.

Offline madmick

green cannon yes you are right it does sit leaning slightly forward,never thought of that,.?.then ill  have to drop the level.i reckon ill do it 1mm at a time and work my way down in the fuel level (17mm height of the floats) first i will try and see if that fixes it if not i will adjust it to 18mm,but dont want to take it any further than that,so then i might try that boyesen over size bowl.?.as well as annoying it is also dangerous having petrol (gas) in your lingo spilling everywhere..if youse mob in the U.S.A. call petrol gas what do you call gas..?..always wondered about that..tanks man..crikey..did you know the pomms(aussie slang for english people) call cars motors and trucks lorries..?.mick.

Offline greencannon

I was thinking the Boyesen Superbowl would help with running a lower fuel level. This is all considering the angle of carb is really the problem.

The website doesn't list a Superbowl for KX500, but I know a lot of other bikes run the PWK39 carb. Do a little research to find a listing and part number

here is the link, scroll down page to find Superbowl

http://www.boyesen.com/cwo/OFFROAD/Products

Offline HodaddyB

Does the carb have a drain on the float bowl? opening the drain screw w/ a piece of hose like you'd use on the modified plug would get you to the same point, no?