Author Topic: transmission issue  (Read 3310 times)

Offline greencannon

transmission issue
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:42:59 PM »
the circlip that keeps 3rd gear in it's position on the output shaft folded over and broke for the second time. Upon inspection of the first teardown
 I noticed the area where the circlip contacts 3rd gear was severley worn, and the circlip was bent out of shape and resting in the bottom of the case. I replaced 3rd gear and the circlip along with rest of circlips and shims on that shaft. I replaced the shift forks while I was in there also. I double checked the schematic to make sure I reassembled the shaft in the proper order. Worked great for about a half a season then right in the middle of a ride,Zing !!!! 3rd turned into neutral.Just like it did the first time. The tranny used to be bullet-proof  until now.
Any ideas ??? 

Offline 500freak

Re: transmission issue
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
its probably because the area where the clip goes is worn out. i assume that where the clip fits is lose and after some abuse it falls off.
87 k5 Pc pipe,v-f3,pwk....SOLD!!
87 k5 stage 3 port,torque spacer 39.5mm carb,gnarly pipe,vf reeds,uni filter,bored 86.5
99 banshee 421 stroker beast!!!
75 dt400 all stock SOLD!
85 kx125 stock

Offline greencannon

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:07:58 PM »
Good point, but the shaft is fairly new and the circlip seemed to snap in tight. Is there some kind of spec. to measure there ??
Any Experts ???

Offline 500freak

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »
does it have any side to side play? thats probably why it bends all up before it breaks off.
87 k5 Pc pipe,v-f3,pwk....SOLD!!
87 k5 stage 3 port,torque spacer 39.5mm carb,gnarly pipe,vf reeds,uni filter,bored 86.5
99 banshee 421 stroker beast!!!
75 dt400 all stock SOLD!
85 kx125 stock

Offline greencannon

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:27:48 AM »
Like I   said it snaps in pretty tight. I'm thinking it would be almost impossible to not have a tiny amount of side play.

Calling on any experts ????

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
It may not be the clip or the groove it fits into. Is there any slop to the gear itself? It may be moving around enough to bend the clip to the point of breaking. Also how are the other gears. Maybe when you change to third the opposing gear it comes in contact with is not aligning correctly and causing binding therefore putting too much stress on the clip and it fails and breaks off? Been thinking about this odd problem since you posted. Not an expert but I do like to figure out odd problems :)
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline fluffy

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 01:39:41 PM »
on page 11 figure 21 of your clymer kx manual it showes the correct way to install the clip. hope this helps.

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:43:24 PM »
If the problem was being caused by to much side force you may not have fixed the whole problem. I like to treat trans problems like a group of bad chrildren, rather then play the who did what game, you just go ahead and spank them all that way you know you get the right one. If the dogs on the gear were bad causing the gear to want to push away from the other gear it was ingaged with, this could possibly create enough side force to cause the clip to fail. Now if you have a gear with bad dogs on it, the gear that it ingages will also have bad dogs and will also need to be replaced or the problem will come back. Gears that like to pop out of mesh will seldom show any significant signes of damage. Typicaly the dogs will only be slightly rounded on the edge, to someone that does not know any better they will look just fine. Also you should be carefull when asking for an expert to answer your question,(1) you are probably going to hurt the fealings of anyone that has tried to help thus far (2) you would have to be a little if not very arrogant to answer a post where an expert has been called upon, even if you were an expert.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:38 PM »
Thats why we have you BDI  :-D
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline greencannon

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »
I couldn't help but crack a smile at that one BDI...
That's some good stuff there.  I'll be sure to thoroughly inspect all components again. You made me realize that I was instantly distracted by the obvious damage to the side of the gear. Thus causing me to forget about why it happened. 
1. I welcome anybody's input. No offenses here.
2. When a man assumes and looks for arrogance, he often finds it...

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 01:21:29 AM »
im just glad im not one of his kids.......... :-D
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
Thats why we have you BDI  :-D
I know I rub peoples fur the wrong way some times but I honestly have everyones best interest at heart. I'm sure thats the only reason danger has not tossed me off the site  :-D
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline madmick

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »
greencannon,one thing comes to mind that a lot of people dont know is that when installing your circlip there is a rounded edge on 1 side,top(from the stamping out process when manufactured) and 1 straight edge,bottom.you need to work out which side most of the inertia(forces)are coming from and have the circlip with the straight edge facing in that direction,as it would be harder for the clip to ride over the groove as it will have a longer face(more surface contact area)as both edges will have a 90 degree edge therefore harder to ride over it,and if installed the other way it acts like a chamfer(lead),and with less force will want to open slightly and move over the groove..but in saying that because it has happened a couple of times you more than likely have some damage(wear)in that groove and no matter what way you face your straight edge you will keep having the same problem.?.does that make any sense.i know its an old post but if it helps 1 person out there from that same problem..my job is done..remember..better your sister in a brothel than your brother on a 4/stroke..hee hee hee..and if your 5hunghy ends up killing you..?.have this written on your gravestone..I KNEW I SHOULD OF BET ON THEM 65 HORSES RATHER THAN RIDE THEM..ride hard bro..madmick..(im not realy mad i just get cranky sometimes)..double hee hee hee..later..hope someone got a laugh,cause sometimes it is better to laugh than cry..dont know who wrote that but he was proberly a clown rather than a sook(cry baby)..later..heh heh heh...