Author Topic: ProMoto Billet Rack for KX450F  (Read 3339 times)

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
ProMoto Billet Rack for KX450F
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:27:10 PM »
I emailed ProMoto Billet, asking if they might make a rack specifically for the KX450F (they are thinking about it). They make one for the KLX450, which I bought and made a couple of modifications to make it fit. My first attempt was lamer than my second, and the second is slightly lame, but thought I would post anyway. Danger is posting his application on a KX500AF so it is somewhat different on the exhaust side. First picture here is what the first attempt looked like. It was sticking up a little bit high from the fender.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:00:32 PM by ID KX500 »
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline ID KX500

Re: ProMoto Billet Rack for KX450F
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »
The rack became loose, so I removed and looked for some heavier billet to make the left side mount. Picture 1 is what was formed using crude methods for the left side. Picture 2 is of a 7/8" handle bar mount for hand guards, it was just right with a little drilling to connect the right side. The bushing is what I used on the forward mounts where the seat bolt goes in, it spaced the rack out just enough that it wasn't squeezing inward.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:43:55 PM by ID KX500 »
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline ID KX500

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »
Picture 1 is the right side, it is mounted from rear rack mount to the bolt that holds the muffler.Picture 2 & 3 are the left side rear mount. Pictures 4 & 5 are the finished product. It is mounted better this time but time will tell how well.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:58:28 PM by ID KX500 »
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:08:14 AM »
 Hey ID-5
  Looks great!
  That would come in handy, It looks strong enough to move the rear of the bike around too.  I had a hard time reaching over the bike and grabbing the sub frame to lift or move the rear of the bike.
  Having a Low Center Of Gravity,  (Me, not the bike!)   I took a piece of webbing and ran bolts through the rear seat mount bolts. It's still not like grabbing the rear subframe on an old XR.. but better than what I had.
I like your Idea much better!   Good Work,
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline ID KX500

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:06:13 PM »
Hey ID-5
  Looks great!
  That would come in handy, It looks strong enough to move the rear of the bike around too.  I had a hard time reaching over the bike and grabbing the sub frame to lift or move the rear of the bike.
  Having a Low Center Of Gravity,  (Me, not the bike!)   I took a piece of webbing and ran bolts through the rear seat mount bolts. It's still not like grabbing the rear subframe on an old XR.. but better than what I had.
I like your Idea much better!   Good Work,
   Tuck\o/
Thanks Friar for the kind words. I can grab the rack and move the bike much easier. While I'm showing that rack I guess I'll post some pictures of my K5 rack. It is from an NX250 Honda, I cut some aluminum for attachment to the K5, on the three bolts at the rear, seat, side panel, and rear fender. It is a simple mount I think the pictures show all.
"Endeavor to persevere."