Author Topic: parts for a 87 kx 500?  (Read 4166 times)

ctodd

parts for a 87 kx 500?
« on: February 27, 2003, 03:39:29 PM »
where do you guys buy your parts?  I have the hardest time finding parts for a 87 kx 500.  I especially need a spark arrestor.  I have thought about a sparky, but am afraid that it won't meet the sound level limits here in cali.  I would like to find used parts if I can.  Thanks.

ShanMan

parts for a 87 kx 500?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 01:54:02 AM »
I just got my '87 KX500. I am running into the same problem with plastics. Apparently the '88 is the cut-off for aftermarket. That said, the previous owner of my bike did the following: He welded a new mounting tab to a FMF Gold Series pipe that is for an '88. The fit is perfect, I have no leaks, and the whole thing looks and works as it should. Then, two weeks before he sold me the bike (Thanks!) he installed a Turbine Core FMF spark arrestor. It also looks killer and works well. In fact, the previous owner swears it made all the difference on the top end, but I have yet to go WFO long enough to tell! LOL! It's not obnoxiously loud, which is good because I live and ride in California too. I know it's not the bolt on solution you are looking for, but it's another option. By the way, e-mail me if you want some pics of the install.  :)  smurray01@charter.net

<EDIT> I also just found this pipe and arrestor combo on Ty davis' site:
https://secure.ziptyracing.com/loader.php?state=load&module=docs&page=display&nav=main&task=prd_detail&PART_NO=KX500P-1&PHPSESSID=628e8ad6c4f87eb58fb4f4ad77dc262b

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
parts for a 87 kx 500?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 02:29:34 AM »
Hey ShanMan, post them pics in the gallery for the rest of the older machines to take advantage of this modification. When my digital camera days arive I will be posting frame mods i have to keep the pipe mounts, gussets, etc... from breaking off.
Quote from: ShanMan

By the way, e-mail me if you want some pics of the install.  :)  smurray01@charter.net

ShanMan

parts for a 87 kx 500?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 02:54:20 AM »
Roger that. In fact, I will take some good close-ups so they can be of real use. Probably wont be unitl the weekend though.

ShanMan

parts for a 87 kx 500?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 01:57:28 PM »
OK, I posted a few pics of how the '88-'02 FMF Gold Series pipe and Turbine Core spark arrestor are mounted to my '87 mean greenie. Please see my picture gallery and note the comments I made. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me or PM me. Hope this helps the older bike guys.  :D

ctodd

parts for a 87 kx 500?
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 02:44:23 PM »
ShanMan, thanks for the pics.  You have a nice setup.  I checked the Ty Davis spark arrestor, but unfortunately it is not USFD approved.  I have spent countless hours searching on the net for one without any luck.  Looks like I will go with the Sparky.  I hope it meets the sound dec. limits.  I just want to hurry up and got out to El Mirage and let it rip.

ShanMan

parts for a 87 kx 500?
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 02:15:30 AM »
I know how you feel about being anxious to let it rip! We have been to Glamis every other weekend now for the last two months. It is starting to get hot out there though, so I suppose soon it will be time to swap the paddle for the knobbie and go desert bombing. Sure wish we were all closer so we could organize a big ole' KX500 assault. Good luck with the Sparky!  :)

ShanMan

parts for a 87 kx 500?
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 09:24:58 AM »
this is the one on my bike, and works and sounds awesome.....check it out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2920209835&category=14756