Author Topic: JUST SNAPPED MY KICKSTART LEVER  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Roostmad1

JUST SNAPPED MY KICKSTART LEVER
« on: August 14, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
hello, :roll:far out i though the old 500 was hard enough to kick over last time but decided to put a new ring in it and install a dent free pro curcuit pipe this weekend,now it has insane compression,i,m not kidding itds like kicking a brick wall and second good kick the starter lever snapped,i think i'm going to have to get a decompression release put in the head or inject steroids into my right leg LOL!! PS has anyone got a kick lever for a 500 they want to sell,cheers everybody

Offline NZ500

Re: JUST SNAPPED MY KICKSTART LEVER
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »
Hi. d**n that sucks. Try mrcycles.com, they ship to new zealand for a reasonable price compared to others and parts seem a lot cheaper than here. Just ask them to use USPS not fedex or ups. I hope I don't have the same trouble once mines finally back together (complete rebuild).  I wasn't sure if I should get a spare kick start with my bits or not (I could have brought a mint bike for what this is costing me). It could be handy to take to trail rides

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 02:46:54 PM »
Hi. d**n that sucks. Try mrcycles.com, they ship to new zealand for a reasonable price compared to others and parts seem a lot cheaper than here. Just ask them to use USPS not fedex or ups. I hope I don't have the same trouble once mines finally back together (complete rebuild).  I wasn't sure if I should get a spare kick start with my bits or not (I could have brought a mint bike for what this is costing me). It could be handy to take to trail rides
hi,hows it going mate?,did you get your 500 sorted?,good to see a fellow nzer in here,i was really looking forward to a ride never mind the lever was getting tired anyway,cheers

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »
With my 13:1 motor. I started carrying a extra kicker and Allen wrench in the airbox. 

Also the 2003 kicker was built better than early ones.  More material
thanks for the help,will also see how much a OME 2003 is also,living here in new zealand we pay quite abit more for geniuine kawaski parts.cheers

Offline NZ500

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 05:35:06 PM »
hi,hows it going mate?,did you get your 500 sorted?,good to see a fellow nzer in here,i was really looking forward to a ride never mind the lever was getting tired anyway,cheers

Hey. It's all good apart from having spent nearly 20k on two bikes and the kingswood and still nothing I can use lol. I sent my crank up to HPE in christchurch to be rebuilt. Both sides of the crank are worn and needed to be ground down and hard chrome plated. The chrome platers are in no hurry it seems, they've had it for over a month now! I probably should have just brought a whole new crank assembly with the other bits i need from America. The kick shaft is snapped and I was going to repair the enigine cover which was broken when the kick starter shaft snapped, but it's a fiddley spot to weld in and I don't want it to be weak there so I'm looking at replacing the whole cover now. Few other little bits and pieces to fix and I've cleaned up some of the ports while waiting on my parts. My bike has a near new kick starter on it so I built up the knuckle of it with stainless steel tig wire like was mentioned on here recently (can't find the post any more or know who it was who posted it unfortunately) so that it spreads the load over a bigger area.

I'm not sure if the newer/beefier (02-04) lever fits your bike though because you have an '86 don't you? Perhaps someone can confirm this for you before you buy one.

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »

Hey. It's all good apart from having spent nearly 20k on two bikes and the kingswood and still nothing I can use lol. I sent my crank up to HPE in christchurch to be rebuilt. Both sides of the crank are worn and needed to be ground down and hard chrome plated. The chrome platers are in no hurry it seems, they've had it for over a month now! I probably should have just brought a whole new crank assembly with the other bits i need from America. The kick shaft is snapped and I was going to repair the enigine cover which was broken when the kick starter shaft snapped, but it's a fiddley spot to weld in and I don't want it to be weak there so I'm looking at replacing the whole cover now. Few other little bits and pieces to fix and I've cleaned up some of the ports while waiting on my parts. My bike has a near new kick starter on it so I built up the knuckle of it with stainless steel tig wire like was mentioned on here recently (can't find the post any more or know who it was who posted it unfortunately) so that it spreads the load over a bigger area.

I'm not sure if the newer/beefier (02-04) lever fits your bike though because you have an '86 don't you? Perhaps someone can confirm this for you before you buy one.
Hi,i know whats it like spending loads on things that sit in the garage lol,you say you have a kingswood?,cool,i,ve had lots of them!!,i'm a holden man also, i have a HQ monaro 350 thats been sitting in the garage now for 8 years!!,back to the starter lever i'm pretty sure my 86 has the same kick start spline as the later 500 will i'm hoping anyway,have a 86 KX250 that i'm just finishing of as well,heres a picture,cheers Richard

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 05:18:49 AM »
 I think you Kiwi's live in the only other country I think I would want to be if things get any worse here in the U.S.

If you guys need parts I will ship them to you for only what it actually costs. 
 I did ship a 13lb. box large enough to hold handlebars, a pipe, a radiator and bar mouts to north Aus for about $30. U.S.  (and that was when the dollar was worth more)
  If you guys get the parts to me, I'll send them on to You. 
 Let me know if I can help.
  Tuck \o/
Croft_RW@yahoo.com     
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 07:36:14 AM »
I think you Kiwi's live in the only other country I think I would want to be if things get any worse here in the U.S.

If you guys need parts I will ship them to you for only what it actually costs. 
 I did ship a 13lb. box large enough to hold handlebars, a pipe, a radiator and bar mouts to north Aus for about $30. U.S.  (and that was when the dollar was worth more)
  If you guys get the parts to me, I'll send them on to You. 
 Let me know if I can help.
  Tuck \o/
Croft_RW@yahoo.com     Hi Friar,the very nice of you,this site is so helpful great bunch of guys here,anyway theres been plenty of times i could of got a part i really needed for my KX,s of ebay but the seller wouldn't ship out of the states,i will email you in soon,thanks again mate.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:29:34 AM »
U Betcha'   
 Anything I can do.
 \o/

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
sweet as i just rang my local kawasaki dealer and they have a 04 500 starter lever avaliable overnight at $175.00 NZ,not to bad i though.

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »

it works on my 87.   

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 06:18:53 PM »
 Service Honda:      13064     LEVER-ASSY-KICK,PEDAL  13064-1201  $84.79

"$175.00 NZ,not to bad i thought."   :-o

\o/

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 07:29:30 AM »
ServiceHonda looks to be cheaper on Mondays.  :-D

Part Number                 Description     List Price     Your Price!
130641201         LEVER-ASSY-KICK,PEDAL    98.23    80.75

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »
i couldn't wait i have no patients lol!!,by the time i converted to US dollars and payed shipping it wasn't much cheaper and today i can take the 500 out "praise the lord"

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
took it out yesterday and awesome so responsive and s**t loads of power,its was digging a decent trench everywhere it went,though the tyre was pumped up to hard but only had 8 pounds in it,mightie 500,being my first big bore excuse me if i rave on a bit about it!!