Author Topic: shifter fork replacement. noob to dirtbike tranny's  (Read 3904 times)

Offline TwoSmokerDieHard

shifter fork replacement. noob to dirtbike tranny's
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:16:10 AM »
i have to replace 2nd and 3rd shifter fork. not sure exactly how it comes out, never done much work on any transmission stuff with dirtbikes. any info is appreciated. bike is a 1995 kx 500.

Offline FPMXer

Re: shifter fork replacement. noob to dirtbike tranny's
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 06:01:02 AM »
Cases have to be split to change anything with the transmission.
99' KX134 Track Bike

97' KX60 Jr's bike

89' CR500 Dune Missle

87' Mojave KSF250

My blood is green and also red!

Offline greencannon

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:17:31 PM »
Splitting cases is not hard, just tedious because you need to take clutch side apart too. output shaft is held in place with circlip on clutch side of case.  Removing output shaft is almost mandatory and makes any tranny work a whole lot easier. Get yourself a case splitter with long M6 bolts to make case splitting a  lot easier. But I gotta ask, how do you know shift forks
need replacing before you have it apart to inspect them     ?

Offline TwoSmokerDieHard

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 02:37:04 PM »
well i am not for a fact positive thats its shifter fork.. but i bought the bike from my cousin, he said it was shifter fork and had replacement part in hand. he doesnt have time to ride so i got it for nickels and dimes :-D

all i have apart now is the clutch cover off and all the parts off needed to get it off. and the generator cover.

i tried to search the site to see if anybody else had a step by step with some possible pictures but didnt find any. if anyone can post a link it would be appreciated.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
Be wary of what your cousin told you, part in hand or not... It would be alot of work to open the motor, inspect and diagnose shift fork problem then close motor back up before getting new part.
 See where i'm going with this..? Im not picking you apart just tryin to look out for you, as I am in the middle of case split and tranny job on my K5. What I "thought" was the problem was indeed the problem along with 3 other parts in there that I would have never guessed.  It was kind of like one little problem caused another then another, ect.
 Well $300 later its finally going back together. That doesn't include all the little seals and gizmos "you might as well replace while your in there" expense. 
Dont be scared , just be prepared....
Remember , the proper flywheel puller, a case splitter, a soft deadblow hammer, and a little patience, be careful not to strip stator plate screws and take note of stator position before you remove.
If its gonna be apart for some time waiting for parts, coat exposed parts with oil and cover with saran wrap. the internals will rust fast if not. (especialy the crank end ignition side)
 Tapping on sprocket shaft with deadblow hammer while using case splitter will help cases come apart evenly. I log alot of hours on my 500 so I split the cases once a season to maintain whatever needs it. Once you do it you will see the KX500 motor is really a simple motor and tearing into the bottom end isn't so bad.
I hope this helps, Good Luck