Author Topic: Suspension Fluid  (Read 4403 times)

kawdude

Suspension Fluid
« on: March 20, 2004, 02:39:45 PM »
All.
I'm in the middle of a shock rebuild and need some advice.  I been reading the posts regarding this topic but I'm unsure of what "weight" of oil to use in the shock.  Can someone tell me what I should use and why.  I assume the thicker the oil the slower the shock will work???

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Suspension Fluid
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 02:49:34 PM »
Stock is "light" or O1 weight. I run medium on the MX track and light in the open desert

kawdude

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 01:59:08 PM »
So the difference would light for less rough terrain and heavy for rougher terrain?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Suspension Fluid
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 03:45:10 PM »
Depends on how much air you're going for ;)

kawdude

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 03:55:57 PM »
Paul, I appreciate your help but I'm a novice at this.  Can you elaborate on this?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Suspension Fluid
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 12:16:21 AM »
The fluid is used to "fine tune" your suspension. If you've gotten the suspension as good as you can but it still needs a little something - bottoms out on landing, seems to mushy - then step up to a heavier oil OR change your oil level. Oil level only applies to forks though. If the rear shock is still respondig too fast and you've gotten it as good as you can with the clickers then you can slow it down with a heavier oil, keep in mind it will seem a littel stiffer so you'll be back to square one messing with the clickers.

kawdude

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 04:40:05 AM »
Excellent explanation!!!  Thank you for setting me straight on this.

Rick

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 05:01:38 AM »
Yup, Paul hit the nail on the head on the explanation of oil viscosity.  In my oppinion, the stock shock oil is WAY too thin.

I use 10 weight oil in the shock, and run my clickers at 14 for compression and 10 for rebound.  I HATE to have too much rebound, and do not jump off cliffs or tripples with the 500.  Also, my shock has been revalved by ACME, but even with other bikes with stock valving, I have always used 10 weight.  Did I mention I HATE to have too much rebound?  Scares me....

On the forks, I use 5 weight fork oil.

Rick

kawdude

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 10:19:08 AM »
All,
Running into problems finding 10w for the rear shock.  The stuff I'm looking is suspension fluid but is marked forks only.  Everything else at the dealer is very light.  What does everyone run for rear shock oil?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Suspension Fluid
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 01:42:31 PM »
I run Maxima Fade Free Medium Weight

kawdude

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 03:20:32 PM »
I got it done.  Thanks for all the help!

Rick

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 03:22:57 AM »
Just to followup for others looking for oil, I use BelRay 10 wt. suspension fluid.  I usually have to order, to I keep an extra bottle in the shop.

Good to hear your done.  Hope you enjoyed the rebuild.

Rick

kawdude

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 03:21:53 PM »
Ok thanks!  I found a Race tech suspension fluid (medium weight) and used that.  Hopefully that OK.  And thanks for posting the "how to" on rebuilding the shock.  I think the hardest part was getting the seal head pushed in.  I may have let too much oil out.  Seems to be a "swish" sound when the shock is fully extended.  Will that work it's way out when the shock is charged with Nitrogen?

Rick

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2004, 04:44:36 AM »
You should be OK unless you really did let too much oil escape.  As you depress the valve and seal, the idea is to try and compress the bladder just a little instead of letting to much oil escape.  The squish sound you hear may be the oil passing through the valve.  However, before you put nitrogen in the bladder, you should have almost no freeplay from full extension.  Do you remember checking this?  If so, do you remember how much?  Also, after you added nitrogen, did you have any freeplay?  You should definitely have no freeplay after nitrogen is added.
Rick

kawdude

Suspension Fluid
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2004, 01:31:11 PM »
There was no freeplay fully extended just a swish sound.  I had them charge the bladder and wow talk about a difference.  Very solid feel.  I doubt this shock worked even when the seal wasn't leaking.  The dealer said that they thought the seal was leaking when the charged it but I think it was residual oil from the mess I made the night before rebuilding it.  I've been watching it and since Friday there was only a dime sized drip on the rag underneath it.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Thanks for your help.