Author Topic: Scott's Dampner.. Don't make the same mistake I did.  (Read 2636 times)

toddwunsch

Scott's Dampner.. Don't make the same mistake I did.
« on: March 17, 2004, 08:00:21 PM »
If you decide to install a Scott's dampner on your bike, don't make the same mistake I did and try to install it without thoroughly reading the directions first.  I threw the directions on the ground and just assumed to install the bolt on mounting bracket and drill through the frame without installing the dampner and lining up the bracket first before I drilled.  Turns out the bracket was offset to the right a little and the dampner maxed out before the steering stop engaged.  I ended up taking it all apart and had to bore the holes out in the frame a little to straighten the mounting bracket to the correct position.  However, after that, it didn't matter how hard I tightenened the mounting bracket down, the bored out holes in the frame caused the bracket to shift during high speed compression on the dampner.  I ended up having to weld the bracket to the frame to keep it in place.

The correct way is to place the bracket over the steering stem and the frame first without tightening.  Then install the dampner and make sure everything is lined up perfect.  Then drill the holes in the frame.  I'm not sure how the bolt on bracket would hold up even in a perfect installation.  You can't beat the welded on bracket, but if you're adament on using the bolt on bracket, please, please, read all of the installation directions first before even turning screw one !!

Rick

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 09:40:20 AM »
Weld it on always.  This thing takes abuse like you can't believe, and there is no reason not to weld.  If you sell the bike, just cut it off and touch up with some Kawi green paint.  I have not used a bolt on mount since 1998.

Rick

teamgreen500

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 05:10:15 PM »
Weld on ONLY!!!!!

The bolt-on brack absolutely $UCK$~and doesn't allow the system to work correctly!

Manny

DanH1

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 05:46:20 AM »
Weld it on!        Rick said it right about the stress placed on it.   Even the guys at Scotts pushed the weld on when I got mine.    One less thing to worry about.

Dan

toddwunsch

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 08:40:43 AM »
Yep.  Thanks guys.  I took the bike out for one run and the bracket was already getting sloppy.  Took it in to my Dad's shop and they welded it right up for me.  Now it's like it's part of the frame.