Author Topic: '86 KX500 and Milk in the Tranny... And Hello!  (Read 14334 times)

Offline Erwin8r

Re: '86 KX500 and Milk in the Tranny... And Hello!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »
Wow. Thanks, guys!  A community like this makes me want to run out and pick up a kx5!  Been thinking about a replacement bike anyway.

I'll post progress reports/ pics as I pull the clutch cover off and replace the seal.

Regarding that "iron ring" mod above, would jb weld be a suitable replacement for that loctite stuff, or should I stick the the loctite? 

Offline Lawnmowerman

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 10:03:34 AM »
JB weld is fine.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Erwin8r

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 05:59:32 AM »
Thanks, Friar, Snoop, guys.  Got the cover off yesterday (I know, should be simple, but weekends have been busy lately!  LOL).

Ugly, milky stuff!  Yuck!    The clutch basket is definitely NOT billet.  Nothing else looks untoward.  The oil seal looks ok, but the bearings on the impeller seem rough--and there was some "stuff" on the seal, so it probably is the culprit.  I'm ordering the seal, bearings, and gaskets from Bike Bandit.  Aside from this, and the JB weld job, anything else I shiold do before I button her up?

Thanks again!

Yuck!!!

Almost 500cc's... ;)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 08:16:17 AM »
 Take your time getting the kicker lined up and installed correctly, you may have to wiggle the tranny to get all the gears lined up.  It doesn't take too awful much to push the cover on once everything is lined up.
   You'll be fine E,
 Good luck!
   Tuck\o/

Offline Erwin8r

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 08:36:59 AM »
'nother question:  If I decided to buy a newer engine (Say, a late 90's or 2000+), would my clutch cover fit it?  Could I use the same kicker shaft?  Not saying I'm giving up on this one yet (by any stretch), but just thinking ahead a bit...

Also, besides Bike Bandit, are there any other OEM parts sites with good pricing/shipping? 

Offline ShadeTreeFab

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »
i found these just in case.
/inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1850520534.html
/reno.craigslist.org/mcy/1858854909.html

Offline don46

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »
'nother question:  If I decided to buy a newer engine (Say, a late 90's or 2000+), would my clutch cover fit it?  Could I use the same kicker shaft?  Not saying I'm giving up on this one yet (by any stretch), but just thinking ahead a bit...

Also, besides Bike Bandit, are there any other OEM parts sites with good pricing/shipping? 

It would appear that whoever built the unit modified the kicker shaft and added a bearing, stock they do not have that nor are they as long. you will note that your clutch only has 5 springs, I think that is the only year with 5, maybe 85 as well, and as I recall you can't just use one off a newer bike, they have different splines. The KIPS drums are no longer available from Kawi, and you are right that 87 and 88  have some parts in common, they also have obsolete parts. The cylinder and heads would work on a newer motor, and they do have pretty nice port configuration. go into it knowing that you will have to buy used parts or you'll have to scrap it and get a newer motor. the clutch cover is the same configuration on the newer 500's, you will have to change the KIPS actuation arm as it is different on your 86 from a newer motor.

I do have some parts for that vintage motor if somebody needs something in particular.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Erwin8r

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 05:24:59 AM »
Great info, Don.  More:  Going to a newer engine, would it be a simple matter of changing out the cover and the kicker shaft, utilizing all of the newer parts for KIPS actuation, etc.? 

Offline don46

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
Great info, Don.  More:  Going to a newer engine, would it be a simple matter of changing out the cover and the kicker shaft, utilizing all of the newer parts for KIPS actuation, etc.? 

Yes, is the short answer, and the long answer. use your cover, and your kick shaft, with the newer KIPS shaft and your golden. I've used the older cover on newer motors many times. the older motor had a steel KIPS governor gear and the newer is plastic, no worries either will work.

good luck
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Erwin8r

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 07:32:54 AM »
Guys, besides Bike Bandit, is there another source for OEM parts?  Want to try to get all the replacements OEM....  Thanks!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »
  Hey Big E,
I have had great service from  these places,
  Service Honda: http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.html

Motosport: http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/index.php

Bikebandit:  http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts

Thumpertalk :http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp

I have also used Amazon & E-bay

Lot's more!  Here's 5 pages
http://www.bing.com/search?q=Oem+parts%2Ckawasaki&form=OSDSRC

Offline Erwin8r

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 10:03:30 AM »
Ok, so, life got in the way and the project halted mid-stream... but now I'm back on it!   :-D  Got my new seals/bearings in and will give re-assembly a shot this weekend.  I'm hoping the top-end is ok (seems very much like it is). 

Now, if only I can remember how the Kips stuff came out, I'll be golden... LOL!!

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
Long break. I know how that is though. I usually have many projects going on all at once.

Best thing to do is buy a clymer manual. It has lots of pics and then you will have all the torque specs. I got mine off ebay for like $20 shipped. They pay for themselves real quick. And as always, I'm here to help as much as possible.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.