Author Topic: What a handfull to ride on rock hard dirt !  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

What a handfull to ride on rock hard dirt !
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:11:55 AM »
To my joy my son has taken a resurgance liking to riding after a 6 year layoff. Problem is he loves my YZ450, and in no where near experienced enough to ride the KX500. So we went riding yeaterday to my favorite MX practice crap track. Keep in mind, I have not ridden the KX500 since winter, and the conditions here in New England have been extremly hot and DRY. (Stupid me removed the FWW for ice riding and did not put it back in for dirt riding  :-o ) The dirt surface is like rutted, greasy concrete. My track is tight, flat and a challenge with a big bore bike of any kind, let alone a 62 hp KX500 that kinda' needs a rear tire !! Anyway I made the best of it. But in hindsight all's my 500 was doing was either wheeling down the straight sections, or wildly fishtailing exiting the corners. Adversely my son on the 450 was just dancing smoothly through all the corners, dam bastard. We would stop for a break, and I was huffing and puffing, and my son was just grinning because his clapped out ol' man had a REAL hard time passing him !!  LOL

Of course I must confess, it's wasn't all the bikes' fault. It's just soo much fun throttling and beating the $hit out of a KX500 (especially when you don't take a high speed dirt nap )  !!!

Rich
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:19:52 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: What a handfull to ride on rock hard dirt !
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 03:25:04 AM »
 :-D  Good story Polar -Rich...   Yea, I flat Love Riding, and Yea, it's bittersweet to have the kids catch up to you and become young adults...

Last trip out I broke a brake lever that was over three years old and bent the last set of straight handlebars I had....My pinkie finger swolled up like a Pepridge Farm Sausage, and I couldn't hardly walk for three days :lol:
   But the worst part was telling the kid to "Go ahead I'll catch up"...
       I'm not taking to well to the Idea of "Growing Old Gracefully" Thing...
  \o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:24:12 AM »
The days of "letting" our kids bye as a  confidence booster to them is gone ! Now the next time my son is dogging me showing me a wheel he'es going to get an elbow, and a kick as he passes me dammit !   :evil:

And further in true dirt bike fashion, my son calmly comments "dad, you are always bragging your "MAN bike" has 60 hp, so why did it take you so long to pass me on the YZ" ??

I just smirked as his wise a$$ comment, and said " The MAN bike puts out a DIFFERENT kind of 60 hp that's extremly hard to handle"   

We both laughed.... we had a great father and son ride, and that's what's important to me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 05:30:27 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:47:13 AM »
  True That!  :-D   
 \o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"