Author Topic: Project Roached-Out KX60  (Read 6644 times)

Offline diesel

Project Roached-Out KX60
« on: July 21, 2010, 06:09:41 AM »
Last fall, I picked up a '99 KX60 with a rotten engine.  My son was pretty excited about the project, but working two jobs kept me from working on the bike as much as I wanted to.

I pulled the engine, recovered the seat, and installed a new rear knobby over the course of several weeks.  Then I picked up a complete Wiseco bottom-end kit and started the process of splitting the cases.  Then the project stalled.

I finally decided to buy an engine off of eBay (which I've only done once before with disastrous results).  After waiting three weeks, the poorly packaged engine finally arrived.  Although I specifically asked the seller to take their time with the packaging, the engine was just sitting loosely in a cardboard box when it arrived.  With the engine rolling around in the box (along with the sparkplug, shifter, and kicker) the engine ended up with case damage.  My blood pressure spiked...

Today I bead blasted the crud-covered pipe, only to find numerous cracks near the mounting tab and baffle cone.  I just can't win.  My son's birthday is Friday and I won't have the bike done as planned.

Thanks for letting me vent.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:52:55 AM by diesel »

Offline Coop

Re: Project Roached-Out KX60
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 06:43:19 AM »
Do you not know how to split cases or was there another problem?

I have a stock pipe you could have.  It's banged up back by the silencer, but if it will help you are welcome to it. No cracks that I saw when I sanded and painted it. Just the previous owner smash it to clear the after market shock reservoir.

I have a manual if you have questions or I have a few .pdf's (including a complete KX65 .pdf manual which pretty much shares the same bottom end as our 60's).
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain

1997 CR80RB, 1993 KX60, 1988 KX125

Offline jonny500

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
dont give up. why not put some pics on here im sure we can come up with some solutions. may be not on schedule
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:52:22 AM by jonny500 »

Offline diesel

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:02:01 AM »
I have a Clymer manual and a pretty good arsenal of tools.  I don't have a case-splitter, but in my experience with the Honda TRX250R, a dead-blow hammer is all that's needed.  My problem is simply a lack of spare time to work on the bike.  I really didn't want to buy an eBay engine, but my son will have outgrown the bike by the time I get the original engine rebuilt.  It's bad enough that he's lost all enthusiasm for the project...but ten months of waiting will do that to a kid.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:15:41 AM by diesel »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 07:47:52 AM »
 Jinkies Diesel,
  Where are you located?
 Maybe someone near by could give you a hand.   Dollars to dognuts that kid will love riding...
  You could send the engine to me but you're looking at the same time table problem and I could only buy parts as budget would allow. 
  Oh yea, I do have a case splitter if you need it. last guy I shipped it to cost about $15.00
I have been very fortunate send out and receiving my stuff back, only got burned once...
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline diesel

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »
I'm located near Springfield, Illinois.  I appreciate the rebuild offer, but maybe I can finish the original lower end this Saturday.  I'm curious whether my son will even ride the KX when it's done.  He has a Yamaha ATV that he completely ignores (although my daughter rides the hell out of it).  Do you think I'll need a case splitter?  The 250R cases will separate with just a few light taps of the dead-blow hammer.

Offline Coop

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »
I was able to split the cases on the 93 I bought my nephew just with my dead blow. I was replacing the crank so I wasn't worried about peening the old one, but the bearings did come out stuck to the crank. I had new ones of those so I didn't worry about that either.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain

1997 CR80RB, 1993 KX60, 1988 KX125

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »
 Here's a thread and Ideas on splittin' cases  :-)
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6213.0.html

Here's the splitter I got.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Tools%2FShop&webTypeId=140&webCatId=22&prodFamilyId=17167

There was another thread where someone used a 1/2 aluminum plate with holes drilled in it to put a bolt on the end of the crank and a few holes to run allthread to the case. 

Reply #24
 http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,3914.15.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:43:25 PM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline diesel

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 01:33:14 AM »
Some news regarding the eBay engine...the seller says that he'll take it back and even pay return shipping.  The odd thing is, he expects me to get my refund through PayPal buyer protection...wouldn't that leave him with my money and the engine?  So we'll see what route the process takes.  I don't foresee filing a claim against UPS as the box arrived in beautiful condition...it was the bonehead doing the packaging that's to blame.

On the subject of tools...what's the verdict on the Tusk Crankshaft Installer?  Seems to me that if I'm going to order the case splitter, then I might as well add the crank installer as well.  Opinions?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:34:55 AM by diesel »

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 02:33:01 AM »
Diesel,
The Tusk Crank Tool is well worth the few dollars it costs. Makes assembling the bottom end MUCH easier & sure it would have saved many people from damaging a set of cases or crank if they had it to use. Invest in one you won't be sorry.
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline jonny500

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:16:50 AM »
just some advice about ebay. if you use the resove a problem option and raise a dispute. paypal will hold his money and it will make life difficult for him, if you do this you will get some movment on the matter quite soon i would think. i am am ebay seller (not a dodgy one lol). i have had this happen once and the only option for the seller is the treat the buyer well.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:22:26 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline diesel

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »
I think I can make my own crankshaft installer...basically the same design as the Tusk unit, but made with items I already have in the garage.

I'll be using the steel crush tube from the center of an ATV axle carrier, an 3/16" thick washer of unknown origin, short piece of metric all-thread, metric threaded coupler, and a nut to fit the all-thread.

Should be able to thread the coupler onto the KX60 crank, install the all-thread into the coupler, place the crush tube over the all-thread and against the case, install the uber-thick washer over all-thread and against the crush tube, and install the nut onto the all-thread and against the washer.  Will have to grind a couple of wrench flats into the top of the all-thread to keep the whole assembly from turning, but otherwise should pull the crankshaft into the cases just fine.

Offline diesel

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 07:51:51 AM »
Still trying to work something out with the eBay seller regarding his shoddy packaging job and the resulting engine case damage...playing the waiting game and haven't heard back from the seller or eBay since last Friday.  Still haven't got my original engine rebuilt either...trying to keep the wife happy by remodeling the bedroom.

In spite of those two issues, I managed to move forward with the bike...a few hours Saturday and more than a few last night produced a running motorcycle.  My son seems stoked and I'm glad to cross it off my to-do list.

A quick morning run around our property left me and the bike covered in dew and grass clippings, but it sure was fun.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 08:47:11 AM »
how dose it run, ok? by the look of the grass it has chewed up, i would say not to bad