Author Topic: KX60 shifting issue  (Read 13622 times)

Offline Coop

Re: KX60 shifting issue
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »
Those parts are all good to go. I have checked them all (3 times now). It's really getting annoying now not being able to figure this out, LOL.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain

1997 CR80RB, 1993 KX60, 1988 KX125

Offline jonny500

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 12:36:29 AM »
im sorry to say im running low on ideas for this now. i suppose 1 option could be to replace the whole transmission but thats probably money you dont want to spend. keep us posted as to how you are getting on with it
good luck

Offline Coop

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 02:00:35 AM »
Well once the return spring comes in, if that doesn't fix I guess I will just have to replace other parts. It's definitely something on the outside because it shifts perfectly you just have to "reset" the shifter every time after 2nd gear.

I have honestly never had a problem like. The actual problem AND the fact that I just can't figure it out, haha.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"- Mark Twain

Offline ThrottleJunky

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 03:32:20 AM »
Coop, sounds like you need to "step away" from this issue.  Clear the brain a few days, let the clouds and smoke dissipate,  let the new spring come in, and when you get back on it, go through each step again, don't assume anything, study, then execute. 

What I'm trying to say is "the problem might be right in front of you but you just can't see it".   

Happens to me more and more  and more.   

Good Luck
'There's more living in five minutes flat-out on a bike than some men have in an entire life'.

Offline Coop

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 06:54:47 AM »
Yeah you are right ThrottleJunky. I figured I was going to let it sit until the spring comes in, and then pretty much unassemble everything and start from scratch on the outside of the case with clutch side parts.

Offline Coop

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 03:34:05 AM »
New spring didn't fix it. I took a quick video, my nephew is shifting on the other side and I was holding the assembly in (like the cover would do). You can see after second gear he has to bump the shift lever down to get the mechanism to to return to shift up again. Only on upshifts does it stick, downshifting is beautiful.  I guess I might just order a new gear change mechanism because everything else is new including the shift lever on the other side.

Any ideas? Please tell me what I am doing wrong because I am about to just make the bike a two speed, LOL.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 04:51:27 AM »
have just been looking at a parts diagram of this and it seems to show a different assembly order. take a look at parts 13236 and 13168 . i dont know how accurate this is

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 04:57:30 AM »
I'm just wondering if the pawl,& pins aren't just warn or the gap in the pawl has just been worn/spread too far.
   When I got my 600 the shifter was wrapped 180 deg,and there were dogs were broken off third gear etc.  After replacing the gear and some bushings I still couldn't get the dab gum thing to shift correctly... until I replaced the pawl.

It certainly didn't appear bad or bent.  The bike has been running great now for five years.    I started replacing the cheapest parts first.  I'm not sayin' it couldn't be a combination of everything being worn enough to cause the trouble,
  However that's what was going on with mine.  I think you said you've checked all the components and they individually
were O.K.  Could it be collectively there is just too much wear?
   Like I said, I just started replacing the shift assy, The bike was old and I figured it would be tha last time I would have to mess with it.
  Tuck\o/  

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 05:01:22 AM »
Great Scott Watson! 
  Good Eye Johnny...  It would appear they are swapped in the photo :-o
      \o/

Offline Coop

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 05:13:58 AM »
How did I not notice that? See that's why I wanted to post that video, because another set of eyes is all it takes sometimes. I have had that bike apart 3 times now and it never hit me to check that order of those parts. Maybe it is wrong, I'm going out to try that now. 

Offline Coop

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 06:11:47 AM »
Not it, those parts are assembled xactly like the manual shows them (I have an OEM service manual). I think I am just going to spend the $30 and buy the new mechanism. We never rode the bike before so it could have always been like that.

UPDATE: I used jonny's old advice and took it up in the field and it is now shifting flawlessly. So that return spring was the problem. Nick rode and I got some pics and video I will post up. He did awesome, not one stall and it was his first time ever with a clutch.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:05:15 AM by Coop »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »
  Good news indeed!,
 Sounds like another little Brudda' gonna be burning some pre-mix  :-D
   Tuck\o/

Offline jonny500

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »
ride it ,the good old remedie. it usual gose 1 way or the other, either sorts it or destroys it lol. pleased you got it sorted i was starting to lose sleep over it. i saw the other thread, great  pics. i thinks hes got alot of fun ahead

Offline Coop

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 01:23:34 AM »
I really appreciate how the help and ideas jonny500. If you wasn't for your original idea of just ride I would probably have kicked it off the stand yesterday LOL  :-D .

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »
Bump..........for ChrisMets
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!