Author Topic: Need some help..  (Read 3082 times)

Offline kawi4ever

Need some help..
« on: July 18, 2010, 05:44:32 AM »
Hi I have a 2003 KX500, just had the cylinder re-plated and the top resurfaced(due to warpage),also had the head re-surfaced also. While I had it apart i did crank seals and bearings and covered all the simple stuff that everyone always forgets, I also made all the intake port edges knife shaped, also bottom of transfer ports knife edged, So the problem I have is now when I ride the engine loads up at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle all the time now, I can not ride in the trails anymore because it loads up too much, I have dropped all the way down to a 50 pilot and that helped but still is bad, tried some C-12 race fuel today and that made it soo bad it would not idle, Is this fixable with a proper complete port-job and have the head properly re-shaped?  I an trying to use this cylinder before I order a new kawi cylinder.. Thanks for the help. ERIC

Offline dave916

Re: Need some help..
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 08:42:57 AM »
i cant see how the slight porting [knife edgeing ] would effect the running this badly, sounds like u might have a problem related  to the full engine build , a leakdown test would be your first step before  u start taking the motor apart and spend cash ,   
whats the simple stuff that everone forgets :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:47:05 AM »
Check float level

Offline dave916

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »
is the bike running rich or lean???   rich=smoke
i would not go making too many  adjustments to compensate for some other problem (ie jetting)
unlikly your float level would suddenly go out of adjustment but i have seen a bit of fuel line rubber get traped under float needle valve, [after the carb been removed]
dirt in the choke circuit is another reason for running rich, a slight bit of dirt can keep the choke plunger slighted opened

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »
I have set float height it is correct, carb is clean, also the other thing i did change with the engine build is I put a set of V-Force 3 reeds in.. now what got me with the v-force is there was no tension on the reeds at all, I did the water test like stewart said from my old Rad-Valve to the new V-Force and the rad valve took 45sec to completely drain now the v-force brand new took about 7sec to drain??? Am I overlooking something as simple as a defective reed valve??

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
if the v force drained in 7 sec thats the problem. they should be around 30 sec. put your other reeds in since you know they worked and see how it runs . you will pick up 5 horse with the v force over the rad valve or more . the main difference in reeds is the abuilty to open and closer faster with out resticting flow . that is were the v force improve with there intake design . rounded edge on the port work better as the knife edge force the air to the edge harder as the round edge lets it flow by easyer taking the drag out of the air as it passes . take a air gun and blow against a piece of angle iron and then try it against a piece of pvc pipe the same size and see how it force the iron to one side faster  with just a little movement.
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »

Kawi4,
  K-5 has lots of time around these, I found these instructions on their website:
http://mototassinari.com/technical/instructions

Does everything look Kosher?
  Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:27:35 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 10:43:32 PM »
I was also thinking it was the v-force also but stupid me sold my rad valve before i could try it to see if it fixed the problem.. Anybody have a rad-valve for sale??

Offline slow600

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 10:40:51 AM »
dont like to kick a man while hes down but.....i have a rad valve for sale. whats a fair price to you?

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »
Hi I just got a Rad Valve today locally so I will be installing and seeing if that fixes my problem in the next few days. Ill keep everyone posted on the outcome, Thanks,, :-D

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 05:41:28 PM »
kawi4
I would call v-force and have them send you a new cage. you may have to send them the one you got. I have a set of v3 that only last 3 hours in a customers motor and they gave him a new cage. I will say there customer service is great.

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
Yes I am deff going to call them and send this thing back.. for 135 bucks and only ran good for maybe 2 hours is ridiculous.. I should have just left the dam Rad-Valve in it there was nothing wrong with it and it ran good.. But thats my problem can't leave anything alone..

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »
if you still have the v_force reeds than hold them up to the light and see if you can see light thur them . myabe some debree caught under the side of the reed. did you ck the flow rate before or after you installed them ?make sure you didnt trim to much off the intake boot ( could cause a leak ) . the rad valve will not run close to what the v"s will . we have dyno'ed them more than once and diff motors . good luck  and hope this helped.
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube