Author Topic: What height and pullback should I get for new kx500 bars?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Kawtoom

What height and pullback should I get for new kx500 bars?
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »
I'm buying new bars and don't know what height and pullback I want. I'm 5' 9" Any info or suggestions?
Thx. Kawtoom

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: What height and pullback should I get for new kx500 bars?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 03:28:17 AM »
I would measure the bars you currently have on your bike.  Sit on the bike with the bike on a stand.  With you hands in the position they would be holding the bars,  put your thumbs on top of the grips.  If that feels comfortable you need risers or a higher bend.  The pull back measurement is how your wrists will be angled when holding the bars.  Less pull back is more like holding onto a broom stick.  More is like riding a flat track bike.  Stand on the pegs and hold your current bars,  if your hunched over you need more bend or risers.  If you go too high, it feels like the bars are in your face when you sit down.

I'm a ProTaper, EVO, 1 1/8th inch diameter guy.  With the Henry/Reed bend and 1 to 1 half inch risers.  I'm 6 foot tall.  Here's a link that will give you the measurements of different bar bends.  http://www.protaper.com/index.html
It just one of those personal preference things.

First picture is the stock bars w/ stock mounts.  2nd picture are bars I bought from the discount table at the local bike shop.  Not the bend I like but only 25 dollars new in the box.  With the under mount stabilizer they were to tall.  I swapped them with my bike that has an overmount stabilizer.  Both sets of bars are about the height that I like now.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:30:25 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline Kawtoom

Re: What height and pullback should I get for new kx500 bars?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:04:32 PM »
Thanks! That was WAY helpfull. I ordered FMF 909's... PERFECT.