Author Topic: gear shift lever  (Read 1823 times)

Offline crazyolbastard

gear shift lever
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:30:08 AM »
Did the gear shift lever change at all from 1989 to 2004?

Anyone?

Driven makes  a cool black and gold lever but the  man who is selling it on e-bay says it is for a 1994-2004.
 :?
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline jonny500

Re: gear shift lever
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:49:04 AM »
YES IT DID CHANGE, THE SHAFT WAS LARGER IN DIA AFTER 94? I THINK, ITS THE ONLY CHANGE ON THE ENGINE I KNOW OF BETWEEN 89 - 04
REGARDS
JOHN

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 01:18:58 AM »
The actual shaft size didn't change but the knurled part did. On the older bikes the knurled part the shifter actually bolts on to was necked down then knurled. 94 the kept it the same size as the rest of the shaft and knurled it for the shifter. I have bent or broken a few of the older shafts right at the edge of the knurling but have yet to break the upgraded one.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:01:52 AM »
hey goat, do you know if the new shaft fits the old engine as i have an 89 engine i will be using for an sf build, and trust me if its breakable i will break it. hope you been staying on lately, if not be sure to put it on youtube lol
regards
john

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
are you saying that a new style will work on an onld bike?
thanks Goat!
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 02:23:34 PM »
I have the new style in my k5 and my friends 92 k2.5 and they work flawlessly. Not possitive if they will work on pre 89 bikes as some of the internals are different. But 89-04 is the same minus a couple small details like the knurled end of the shifter shaft.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.