Author Topic: Ohm Readings  (Read 1830 times)

Offline teamwsr

Ohm Readings
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out. I searched on the site but could not find the answers. I have a 1990 KX500 in a 2004 KX250 frame and last time I went for a ride it had no spark. I gave my manual away to my buddy, who has moved away awhile ago when I sold him my 1990. I don't really want to buy a manual for just the motor, basically since I can rebuild a 500 motor in my sleep, I have all the torques written down but forgot to write down the ohm readings for the coil and stator. The motor only has about 30 hours on it and the mag looks great so I wanted to double check before I just throw parts at it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ron

Offline Rd

Re: Ohm Readings
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:27:04 PM »
Ignition coil winding resistance
Primary windings .31ohm +-15%
Secondary windings 3.1K ohms +-15%

Stator coil ressistnace 
Blk/Wht - Blk/Yellow  153-230 ohms
Wht/Red- Blk/Yellow  7.9-11.9 ohms

From the 90/91 supplement.
Later Roger

Offline teamwsr

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »
Wow, quick reply. :-D Thanks alot.

Ron

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:24:10 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline teamwsr

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 01:16:02 AM »
Thanks guys, i've got  a bad coil. Ordrered a new one yesterday should be back up and running next week. :-D
Ron

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 03:28:52 AM »
Ron,
I had a similar problem & ordered a new coil, installed & still had the same problem. The new coil came without the plug cap so I installed the original one. The cap was bad & not the coil. Hope this saves you the headache if you checked resistance with the cap on.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline teamwsr

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:56:28 AM »
Ron,
I had a similar problem & ordered a new coil, installed & still had the same problem. The new coil came without the plug cap so I installed the original one. The cap was bad & not the coil. Hope this saves you the headache if you checked resistance with the cap on.

DoldGuy

Thanks for the heads up, I actually checked with it on and then off, no resistance either way, so hopefully it will be a go. Gotta say though I love this site and tell all my KX friends about it.

Ron