Author Topic: Flywheel?  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Narkotik666

• FreeTheOrange
Flywheel?
« on: June 24, 2010, 01:23:35 AM »
I gave a 2005 KX250 (2T) that i am converting to Enduro specs.

so, after ALOT of research i find that everybody mentioned a FLYWHEEL weight. I understand what it does, and i do think that it is a smart choice. BUT, as i live in South Africa, all the MODS i do are very expensive, so i have to do the most important "BANG FOR BUCK" mods.

so my question is....
how big of a difference does the fly wheel make? all i want is more power in lower revs. because at the moment I have no problem staying on the gas, but i "ride" my bike with the clutch, since the kx250 is pretty much "ON" or "OFF" when ride with the throttle only. but, i GET SERIOUS ARMPUMP.....seeeeerious.....after a day of clutching....i can hardly hold on to the handle bar on the way back...

So, will a heavy flywheel help with the throttle "ON OFF" situation...so i don't have to clutch the WHOLE TIME!....
i know if i want more "low down" power...i should look into a FMF Gnarley.....and REED VALVES....AND AND AND....but, man, it's way too expensive in SA.... since it's pretty much a weekend bike. and offcourse.....hydraulic clutches or rekluse clutches are out of the question. (or maybe not).

So, i have pretty much concluded that the best BANG FOR BUCK mod would be a heavy flywheel weight....but please....if anybody can change my mind....or confirm....or point me in a different direction. it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
2005 KX250 2T
2000 Husaberg FE650 (Exploded)

Offline ktmdude

Re: Flywheel?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 01:10:06 PM »
I have an 11oz fww in my 01. It will help "off throttle" and not using the clutch. The question you need to ask your self is "how heavy?" The more wight it is the better "off throttle" with no clutch will be, but you will loose a bit of "hit" and the bike will rev slower. This is not necessarily a bad thing the bike will get much better traction like that. It is a give and take, that's for you to decide. I would say that they are the best "bang4buck". A Gnarley is a great pipe and worth the money. You will love the down low brute power. Hope that helped.

Offline Narkotik666

• FreeTheOrange
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »
Cool, i think i will go quite heavy.....the thing is we ride really technical stuff...i don't even like "wide open" sections....the place we ride, i never even get into third gear, so it could be real heavy i think. don't mind "loosing" "the hit"....i ride with a KDX250, TTR230 and a CR250......and the KX leaves them all for dead....it's just WAAAAAY to powerful...which is great....but "TAMING" the thing with the clutch the whole time kills me. so there is no point REALLY to have such a beast.

I am hot for the GNARLEY pipe.....love the idea of it....but, d**n....it is too expensive for what i do, spending R3000 (south african rand) on a pipe for a bike that i casually ride with mates (MAYBE) twice a month is over kill. i am WAY past the "pissing contest / whose got the biggest......pipe" part of riding.

so thanks. i think flywheel it is. and a heavy one at that. wish i could "test it".....but in theory it sounds great.
2005 KX250 2T

Offline Narkotik666

• FreeTheOrange
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »
thing is....i got off a HUSABERG FE650 onto the KX250....now everybody goes "WHOOOOOOOO...WOWSER....HUSABERG FE650!!! that must be so intense and scary."

too which i reply....NO WAY....the KX is WAY SCARIER!!!!.....10 times as intense....

on the HUSABERG...i use to put it into 3rd gear....and ride the whole day in that one gear.....LOVELY ENGINE BRAKING (miss that the most), plush as hell, and lets be honest....sounded awesome....i remember...it was so "LOUD" that if i ride down the street.....car alarms would go off as i past them.

so, this might sound weird, but anything i can do to make the KX250 as Tame as a HUSABERG FE650 would be GREAT....(now, that is good advertising for kawasaki).

and another piece of advertising....the husaberg blew up...and the price to fix it....was more expensive that buying a second hand kx250 smoker.....the rest is history.
2005 KX250 2T

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 07:53:04 AM »
My girlfriend races a 07 KX250 in enduros. She is an A class enduro rider. We tried 2 differant weights on her 07 which is pretty much the same as the 05 same. The 1st was a 9oz which worked well and took away some of the ramminess that the powerband had. She raced it that way throughout the first part of our season. The 1st 5 or so races were in the sand and the 9 oz worked well in the sandy, muddy tight woods. We are now into the rocky races where the terrain is rocky, rooty with technical hillclimbs and tight woods. She switched to a 13oz and that worked even better. She likes it better in the sand and tight woods also. I took it for a spin with the 13oz and liked it quite abit more than when it had the 9oz. Its easier to ride, especially in technical situations. She also has a Gnarly on it and that made a nice improvement also.
 As far as the stiff clutch pull that the 05 and up KX250s have, she installed a PEP brand lever which is basicaly a Honda CR style lever and perch with another hole drilled into it for the cable. This changed the leverage ratio for a noticeably lighter pull. This is alot cheaper than a hyd. clutch. Im not sure its available in SA though. Moose racing also sells a similar lever/perch. You could probably make one with little effort.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:10:59 AM »
Another option is to change your aluminum clutch plates out for steel ones. I'm Just assuming your bike has aluminum clutch plates. If they are you can add 65% more weight over the aluminum plates.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
The KX250 has steel plates already.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Narkotik666

• FreeTheOrange
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
yeah, i guess flywheel is the way too go.

so, my last question regarding flywheels, do they actually "help" the motor....or damage the motor?
i guess...it takes out the harshness of the motor....the HIGH revs......and smoothes it out.
but does the extra weight / inertia labour the motor?

so does a flywheel (13oz, probably).....add or subtract from reliablity?
2005 KX250 2T

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 10:54:46 PM »
Narko,
After reading your posts, a simple detune mod would be to unhook the exhaust power valve  (it's simple, doesn't cost anything, & quckly reversible). This will take the "Hit" out of the motor (along with some power) & make it MUCH easier to ride. I am sure some members here will balk at the idea of taking away power but sounds like you (& your arms) are looking for more XR/KDX power & this will do it.

Give us a report!

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:07:24 PM »
adjusting your stator anti clockwise will make it less explosive in the middle, just stay in between the marks on your stator plate. also a free mod, and will help.hth.failing that, a sock down the carb throat will stop it being explosive, or anything else for that matter.....let us know how it goes.....or doesn't.....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:23:08 PM by kwakman »
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:25:18 PM »
the flywheel weights are not recommended for any engine doing a lot of high rpm work, but should be fine for what youre after....
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Narkotik666

• FreeTheOrange
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 01:11:33 AM »
you know, my life matrix has really worked out......first had a XT600 and a KLR650 ....and all we talked about was getting MORE POWER.....do this....tweak that....pull this....drill that....for a 1/4 hp more.....
Now i am talking about "reducing" the power....WILL I NEVER BE SATISFIED!!!

you know what, i am going to "man up".....and get used to the hit.....the MASSIVE hit....because i KNOW i'll miss it when it's gone!

and offcourse I LOVE the XR/KDX ......would love to have a BEEEEG XR650 (can't get them in SA).....and i have allways been a KDX fan...

but, i have to accept the fact, that i am now WELL past them....and i have to start LOVING what i have allways craved for on the big duelies.

Thanks guys for the info....and a renewed love for "THE HIT"
2005 KX250 2T