Author Topic: KX125/KDX200 wheels onto KX500?  (Read 4470 times)

Offline NZ500

KX125/KDX200 wheels onto KX500?
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »
Hey all. I've found a late 80s/early 90s kdx200 (watercooled jap import I think, has steel tank) that's being parted out and wanting to know what the differences are between the wheels off it and what's on my 1990 KX500? I'd like them as spares. I had a bit of a look at the KDX tonight but it was dark by the time I got there. It looked like the front axle could be different and the front rim looks skinnier. The rear rim is a 19" and sounds like its off a kx125. the hub appears to be around 5mm narrower?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=295817803 Here is the bike advertised. I can machine new axles and spacers if necessary (if they'll fit) but the more work required, the less I'm prepared to pay for them. any help would be much appreciated. I'm especially keen on the rear because I currently have an 18 fitted and can get pretty much unlimited second hand 19" mx tyres free

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: KX125/KDX200 wheels onto KX500?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:46:50 AM »
Judging by the pics it is a 91ish as it has inverted forks. I have a 90 with upright forks. The rear wheel should bolt on with some moded spacers. The sprocket on mine was for a 420 chain but the bolt pattern is the same as the 500 so it wouldn't be a problem changing the sprocket. The front is different as it has the odometer on it. You may be able to change the bearings and make some spacers for it to bolt on but I'm not too sure.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline NZ500

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Thanks very much for your reply :) I'll see if I can get the rear for a decent price.

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »
Hey all. I've found a late 80s/early 90s kdx200 (watercooled jap import I think, has steel tank) that's being parted out and wanting to know what the differences are between the wheels off it and what's on my 1990 KX500? I'd like them as spares. I had a bit of a look at the KDX tonight but it was dark by the time I got there. It looked like the front axle could be different and the front rim looks skinnier. The rear rim is a 19" and sounds like its off a kx125. the hub appears to be around 5mm narrower?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=295817803 Here is the bike advertised. I can machine new axles and spacers if necessary (if they'll fit) but the more work required, the less I'm prepared to pay for them. any help would be much appreciated. I'm especially keen on the rear because I currently have an 18 fitted and can get pretty much unlimited second hand 19" mx tyres free
whats up with your wheels?good old trademe not many K5 parts on there was looking this morning

Offline NZ500

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
Hi. There's nothing wrong with my current wheels, they're in surprisingly good condition for a 1990 bike. Just thought might be some cheap spares so I can take them to trail rides or keep sharp tyres on one set for racing and more worn ones on the other for shingle roading/trail rides. Yeah I waste a lot of time looking at trademe lol. Thinking about buying those radiators on there. Mine are ugly and might save me a lot of money if I wreck one.

Looking at moving to australia to work for a while now though so don't want to spend to much on spare parts. Now I have 2 bikes and a v8 ute to finish building up before I can go. I keep making more work for myself by pulling things apart lol

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 03:12:50 AM »
I am very curious if KDX rear wheels work or not? If KDX200/220 (or KLX300R) rear wheels fit the KX500, that would be the perfect way to get an 18".

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 07:39:29 AM »
I had my back-up wheel for my 97 500 mounted up to my 86 kdx 200. It fit without any troubles. I was attempting to convert the Kdx to disc brakes, when I noticed that the disc set-up had lots more drag during a free spin. I am pretty sure that the axle diameter is the same on other years, but not 100%. I think the advantage to an 18" wheel is to run a wide wheel. That way you have alot wider tread patch on the ground. A narrow 18" seems to be the wrong direction to me. The bigger rear wheel would roll better IMO. I know that bigger bikes that are pro hillclimbing will run a 21" rear for the advantage of a flatter tread patch, if that makes any sense. Its just my opinion, as I run stock wheels. I also noticed in my recent experiences with tire changing, that stock wheels corrode very bad on the inside. I don't know, if water gets in there while riding and washing, or the soap and water for easy assembly causes it, but I have seen lots of corrosion on the inside of used wheels. If any bike will destroy a rear hub, its a kx500. Be careful what you mount up to it. Hope I helped.

Offline Goat

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »
The rear wheel off the kdx will fit. 1990 and newer for sure. I have a 1990 in the garage and took the wheel off to see if there was any difference. I have 88 wheels on my 93 k5 so I couldn't compare it to the proper year wheel. Axle diameter is the same.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline NZ500

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 08:57:44 PM »
Cool :). Well I rung the guy back today he accepted my offer of $250nz ($175 USD) for both of the wheels. If the front one isn't suitable it's no big deal, easy to sell and didn't cost much. I'll pick them up tomorrow and update on how well they fit. Also got a pair of 2001 kx500 radiators for $200 (about 140 US) today. One of mine is in good condition but the other is a bit ugly. For that price vs new price I don't mind having a spare set here. I've ridden 200cc two strokes for 5 or 6 years and used to having them on the pipe all the time. I might need those spare radiators while I'm getting used to riding a 500 lol

Offline NZ500

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 08:08:16 PM »
For some reason I haven't been able to use the forum here for one and a half weeks. I picked up the kdx wheels, they are mint and have good discs too. After doing a lot of measuring last week I found that the KDX rear wheel is closer to the factory measurements than what's currently on the bike.

I don't know what the previous owner has done to it (current kx500 rear), perhaps it's not even a kawasaki wheel. There is a wear groove in the front right swingarm gusset from the tyre rubbing at some stage. The left wheel spacer was 12.5mm and is supposed to be 20mm from what I've found on the fiches. the disc has spring washers in between it and the hub (about 3mm thick I think). Argh yucky! I think I need to get motor back in the frame and see how well the sprockets line up with each other and make new spacers for both wheels? Perhaps it's been done so a different rear caliper could be used or something?

Offline Goat

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 08:26:27 PM »
Sounds like you may have an older k5 wheel like I do. I had to make spacers to bolt mine on and it still isn't right. The disc is wearing the brake pads weird. My wheel is off an 87 or 88 k5. I'm working on getting the correct hub to fix the problem. There are spacers that are supposedly better than stock on ebay for like $20 I believe.