Author Topic: Buying a '96 K5, looking at bolting on the newer/larger forks...  (Read 1415 times)

Offline martyestes

I've got a line on a '96 K5 for $500 (from a friend) in good shape.  It's been sitting, so carb's gummed up but this is definitely not a hammered old bike. I have learned my lessons in the past in this regard.

I currently ride a '08 KX450F so obviously the K5's suspension isn't going to be in the same league. At the same time, for a bike with this much power/weight, I'd like to try to buy a front end off a newer K5 to get the 46mm forks and start setting it up from there. Possibly the shock also. Bike will be used mostly for motocross.

Has anyone done this?  My assumption is that I need an entire front end - i.e. the hub is different than previous years too.  Obviously need the triple clamps and forks, but what about the axle/wheel?

Also does anyone know exactly what they did in 1997 to the shock/brakes?  I have searched and can't find anything real specific, only "upgraded"...

Thanks for any help!

Offline crazyolbastard

Re: Buying a '96 K5, looking at bolting on the newer/larger forks...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 01:15:19 AM »
I know this, the 2003-2007 trip set is differant.
I grabbed a set of trippple set for a 2003-2007 250 and the upper bearing on the set is bigger than the 500
Crazy Ol Bastard